Looking for amp project similar to Aleph3 but more power - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2016, 03:14 AM   #1
Dukja is offline Dukja  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for amp project similar to Aleph3 but more power

I haven't DIY for 3 years since I totally recap my Aleph3. It is still working great with my Hifiman HE-6 headphone. But recently I got to try some speakers: Sierra-1 and a coming pair of New Philharmonitor. These speaker needs at least 40W @ 8 ohm and I didn't want to push Aleph 3 too hard on those speakers.

I like their sound pushed by Aleph 3 at low volume. The Aleph is directly connected to Audio-GD DAC-19 and I use Foobar2k to adjust volume. With 24-bit depth, I can use about -20dB without losing dynamic range.

I am thinking several routes to get higher quality watt with a budget ~$1k:
* get some Threshold amp and recap/update it
* build some mono Aleph 3 or 5 or Aleph-X (seems to be too ambitious) with too source on pcb and support here.

I really like to get some good quality watt (80~100W/Ch) but the 400W consumption/ch is really scary to me (and my pocket for AC). Is there some amp project that may deliver some nice initial 40W or so in class A and then transit to AB smoothly without losing the magic of Aleph 3?

Thanks a lot for the suggestion and ideas.
Old 3rd February 2016, 03:35 AM   #2
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

for Aleph-like sound I guess you are looking at a bigger Aleph running at higher rail voltages with maybe matched 2SJ313s at the front (as the newest "update" by Papa).

Alternatively you can consider bridged F4s running off of a balanced preamp of your choice (pumpkin, BA-3 FE, tube-based Impasse, Juma's LSK); these would be made as monoblocks. this is all classA and we are talking large heat dissipation.

F5 amp and its higher power derivatives can transition into high bias AB but this amp stands for detailed and not for Aleph-like sound so it can only be paired with suitable speakers which are a bit recessed by nature and not forward sounding or with a sparkly top end.

if size/heat/$$s are a concern, for your application actually a chip amp, an LM3886 based GC may be the best answer. or you can go straight after an AB amp like P3A or AX-11 and such. many choices...

Last edited by koja; 3rd February 2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for lots of suggestion. I am pretty rusty on all the amp derivatives that you mention. I read some about bridged Aleph 3 which has 60W @ 8ohm. I guess the bridged F4 will be the same.

My Audio-GD Phoenix is fully balanced preamp/headphone amp and the Ref-7 DAC is a fully balanced DAC. So monoblocks of DIY Aleph 3 or Aleph X may make sense for me. Does any of these projects have better documentation and support (PCB, etc) here?

F5 sounds interesting. Unfortunately, for these 2ch monitor, the recess of mid-range of these monitors is my biggest enemy. Is it a good fit?

As for chip amp, I am afraid my indulged ears may not agree with them. If is quite hard for me to get a pair of agreeable speakers after listening to well tuned HD800 or HE-6 systems (at least to me.)...

Last edited by Dukja; 3rd February 2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukja View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestion and ideas.
My suggestion are :

more power = less natural sound [ too much transistors inside ]

the same power amplifier with more efficient speakers = much louder
and transparent sound [ only few transistors ]
speaker big magnets push the sound for free non additional electricity costs.

Was from CAS 2015 Mr Pass write article about amp watt / speaker dB / room space.
Thanks Papa
Attached Images
File Type: png 29AC5FDA-6DDE-47A7-8482-24A2685694E4.PNG (109.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hay, thanks a lot for the table. Unfortunately, my speaker is 85dB and for some louder music session (Movie soundtrack or symphony) enjoyment 100W is right in the ball park. Or maybe I will cut down my enjoyment to 1/2 when I realize how big and expensive those heat sink costs.

I like high efficiency idea, but that is probably going to derail this thread. I'll research more on that later.

Last edited by Dukja; 3rd February 2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

BA-3 with 30-32 volt rails, should give over 40-50 watts class A or there abouts. Otherwise Balanced BA-3 mono blocks, may be possible to double that.

I always thought a pair of Aleph 2 mono blocks would be sweet.

Russellc
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukja View Post
Unfortunately, my speaker is 85dB

...I'll research more on that later.
Any chance to test your Aleph 3 with 95 dB / 98 dB speakers in local Audiophile Room Shop ?
Some times we don't know well treasure amp we have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA9F4772-106E-4941-9243-4514F1FD907F.JPG (63.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg E217B257-9D13-4583-B4C8-35E93031F34D.JPG (162.3 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by soundhappy; 3rd February 2016 at 05:48 AM. Reason: 108 dB
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Bablefish J
Old 3rd February 2016, 02:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhappy View Post
Any chance to test your Aleph 3 with 95 dB / 98 dB speakers in local Audiophile Room Shop ?
Some times we don't know well treasure amp we have
Oh yes, I am using Aleph 3 almost everyday with my Hifiman HE-6 headphone with sensitivity of 76dB @ 50ohm. It works wonderfully. That was the main purpose for me to get Aleph 3 in the first place. Speaker setup is the second though.
Old 3rd February 2016, 02:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 picoDumbs View Post
Bablefish J
This is new to ignorant me. I'll try to spend some time looking into it. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!