SiC Mosfets for A class audio, eg Zen variations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone tried using some of the new SiC Mosfets in any of Nelson's high current class audio designs, eg Zen variations?

For example the maximum ratings of the Cree C2M0280120D or Rohm SCTMU001F look comparable with the IRF044n, the threshold voltages are a little lower at around ~2.5V and the transconductances are lower at ~ 3S.

The transfer characteristics look more triode like and the parasitic capacitances look much better, eg Cis = 259pf for the Cree C2M0280120D vs 1500pf for the IRF044n.

Anyone tried using some of the new SiC Mosfets in any of Nelson's high current class audio designs, eg Zen variations?

For example the maximum ratings of the Cree C2M0280120D or Rohm SCTMU001F look comparable with the IRF044n, the threshold voltages are a little lower at around ~2.5V and the transconductances are lower at ~ 3S.

The transfer characteristics look more triode like and the parasitic capacitances look much better, eg Cis = 259pf for the Cree C2M0280120D vs 1500pf for the IRF044n.

Please note that Zen[R] is a registered trademark; which Mr. Pass has recently {re}activated. Best to write it in posts as Zen[R] to acknowledge this reality.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've tried a few, and they all worked. Inevitably there are some trade-offs,
and initially I had the greatest interest in the very low capacitance versions,
but those also have the lowest transconductance, and with the Zen it
shows up in the distortion figures.

No reason not to play....

:cool:

Ironic also, the Zen trademark renewal involving the use of a SiC part. :D

Back on topic, there's a large thread on SiC.. already here. My personal feeling on the C3M part that I played with.. it would probably sound a lot better if it had a fat sum of volts thrown at it. In other words.. great for Zen™.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.