Pass B-3 preamp build (sort of) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2016, 05:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pass B-3 preamp build (sort of)

Ok. I am going to start off by saying that I have felt very much like an idiot the last couple of weeks while staring at my boards dreaming of sound...

About a year ago, I decided to build the F5 and the B-3 preamp. I bought the boards and stuffed most everything very quickly. Then life took over and I got sidetracked.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I finished my B-3 board and the Super Regulator board. I have the suggested Antek power supply. I would like to assemble these parts together in an old Radio Shack integrated amplifier case which I gutted if that is ok. It has the power switch, power cord, volume pot, and rca inputs intact.

The problem is that when I sat down to wire all of this together I realized that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I have replaced capacitors before and stuffed a few boards but my knowledge of electronics is beginner at best.

Is it possible to use this case with the parts that are already there? Or will it not work at all? All of the wires on the torodial transformer scared the hell out of me. Which ones go to the power switch or power cord?

I am going to try to tackle this again this weekend. And then maybe onto the F5 in a few weeks...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160123_172554.jpg (731.9 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_172535.jpg (798.3 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_172528.jpg (719.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_172457.jpg (910.8 KB, 268 views)
Old 29th January 2016, 05:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Read this:

The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Then this:

An illustrated guide to building an F5

Russellc
Old 29th January 2016, 08:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have read over that a few times. I will revisit and see if it makes more sense today.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, it looks just like the transformer that 6l6 used. Is it Antek? If correct for BA-3 pre, primaries are the red and black wires. They go to switch, as 6l6 photos clearly show. Blue and greens are secondaries. Use continuity test with multimeter to determine the correct pairing. They go to rectifier/ power supply. Pictures show this clearly.

Wiring from power supply to board lightly more complicated but clearly dedicated.

Russellc
Old 30th January 2016, 12:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The red and the black wires are the primaries.
The blue and the green wires are the secondaries.
That's all I have time for at the moment.
Old 30th January 2016, 01:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tackle the F5 first, it's an easier build when using everything availible from the diyAudio store.

Last edited by KevinHeem; 30th January 2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 30th January 2016, 03:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This seems to work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl6s6DGapug
Old 30th January 2016, 04:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
Well, it looks just like the transformer that 6l6 used. Is it Antek? If correct for BA-3 pre, primaries are the red and black wires. They go to switch, as 6l6 photos clearly show. Blue and greens are secondaries. Use continuity test with multimeter to determine the correct pairing. They go to rectifier/ power supply. Pictures show this clearly.

Wiring from power supply to board lightly more complicated but clearly dedicated.

Russellc
"Depicted" not "dedicated" flipping auto correct....

Rusellc
Old 30th January 2016, 09:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi all. I am indeed going to have to take baby steps with this but I will eventually get it. I am using the transformer that 6L6 recommended. It has two pair of red/black primaries and the two pair of blue/green secondaries.
I am still in the process of wiring the power switch/power cord/fuse section to the transformer. It looks to me like on the build guide he connects the two red wires to the positive and the two blacks to the negative of the power switch.
My case has a white wire running from the negative of the power switch to the fuse on the back.
Before I go any further I am going to get a grip on this. Which wires do I connect to the power cable itself? You can see on my pic above that I have two loose ends of the power cable coming into the chasis. I am assuming that I would run a wire from the positive of the switch to the positive of the cable and from the negative of the switch to the negative of the cable. Is that correct?
Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 10:11 PM   #10
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

oh boy

there are not positive and negative on power switch , same as no these on cable

I strongly believe that learning some basics , prior to proceeding further with build itself , will save you from wasting time and money , and especially will give you more safety while working

fiddling with mains powered gadgets is not exactly safe Lego time .

edit: just one of myriad places for start is http://www.bcae1.com/

look at menu on right side

Last edited by Zen Mod; 30th January 2016 at 10:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!