DOZ - Death of ZEN amp from Rod Elliot - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2004, 08:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
hifimaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose
Default DOZ - Death of ZEN amp from Rod Elliot

Earlier there was a post regarding DOZ Death of Zen, were someone was asking a question about DOZ.

Well there actually is a DOZ by Rod Elliot. http://sound.westhost.com/project36.htm

The web page is critical of the Zen designs as being less than Hifi.
After reading the article, it almost seems like "He" could teach Nelson a few things about designing amps.

Kindof amusing.

-David
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 08:51 PM   #2
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
I suggest you compare a schematic of the classic JLH amplifier
with DOZ.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 02:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Default Re: DOZ - Death of ZEN amp from Rod Elliot

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
The web page is critical of the Zen designs as being less than Hifi.
Yeah. Rod's a nice guy, but he's rather a "hifi" objectivist. So it's understandable why he would be critical of the Zen designs. But I don't see that there's necessarily anything to be critical of seeing as the Zen was more of a philosophical exercise and wasn't making any particular pretense of being "hifi."

Quote:
After reading the article, it almost seems like "He" could teach Nelson a few things about designing amps.
Yeah. That's because I think Rod was looking at the Zen in a rather different context than was intended.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 02:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
I suggest you compare a schematic of the classic JLH amplifier
with DOZ.
Not hard to do seeing as Rod has JLH's classic amp on his website as well.

http://sound.westhost.com/jll_hood.htm

And for the lazy...

DoZ:

Click the image to open in full size.

JLH:

Click the image to open in full size.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 04:04 AM   #5
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
For those who are interested, there is a later, more
sophisticated (read: complex) version of the JLH whose
output is direct coupled. You can Google it right up, or maybe
some kind soul will post it, as I don't have it here at home
with me (read: too lazy to do it).

/pass/ Doesn't get excited over the superiority of 3 stage
designs versus 1 stage designs, and wonders if HaloJoy will
ever come back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 04:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
For those who are interested, there is a later, more
sophisticated (read: complex) version of the JLH whose
output is direct coupled. You can Google it right up, or maybe
some kind soul will post it, as I don't have it here at home
with me (read: too lazy to do it).
Here ya go.

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlh1996.pdf

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 12:35 PM   #7
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Magura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Denmark, Viborg
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
/pass/ Doesn't get excited over the superiority of 3 stage
designs versus 1 stage designs, and wonders if HaloJoy will
ever come back.

Well, thats superiority in numbers.

I have rarely listened to a more pleasent sounding amp than the Zen (hope the SOZ is even better in that aspect), and as stated in the pass vs. bryston thread...who cares about an amp being accurate, its gotta be pleasent and involving!!!

I have compared the zen to jmb (from berlin), and my verdict was that the jmb did as well as the zen, but not better. Considering the pricerange jmb is in....the zen's are maybe not that bad after all. Single gain stage or not.


Magura
__________________
Everything is possible....to do the impossible just takes a little while longer.
www.class-a-labs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 04:05 PM   #8
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy
Here ya go.http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlh1996.pdf
I think there is an even more recent one. I'll see if I can post it
later today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 04:07 PM   #9
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
I have rarely listened to a more pleasent sounding amp than the Zen (hope the SOZ is even better in that aspect), and as stated in the pass vs. bryston thread...who cares about an amp being accurate, its gotta be pleasent and involving!!!

I have compared the zen to jmb (from berlin), and my verdict was that the jmb did as well as the zen, but not better. Considering the pricerange jmb is in....the zen's are maybe not that bad after all. Single gain stage or not.
Thanks. People tend to either love them or hate them. To the
latter, I like to point out that the Zen at least has an excuse.

  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 07:00 PM   #10
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: England
Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jlhupd~2.jpg (32.5 KB, 3173 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
death of zen janey Pass Labs 29 16th September 2009 08:59 PM
The death of Hi-Fi SunRa Everything Else 9 16th October 2008 03:22 AM
Death Of Zen DoomPixie Solid State 2 22nd August 2006 10:21 PM
DEATH by UPS exurbia Planars & Exotics 10 4th June 2006 11:29 AM
ESP Death of Zen preamp vs BOZ gretzteam Solid State 13 17th November 2003 07:28 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2