Two Transformers, Two Chassis - Grounding???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have - based on very little electronics knowledge - built a preamp including an active filter. It contains a chinese-made pcm2311 volume control, that uses the one transformer, followed by a pair of CheffdeGars UGS's and the active filter, which share the other transformer.
The two transformers, their separate rectification and filtering are in a separate chassis. The chassis that contains the audio circuits also contain the regulation of both transformers. The thing actually works, but getting near my loudspeakers (within 30 cm.) I can hear a faint hum!
My first question now is:
Where should the grounds from the two transformers meet and which of the chassis should have the ground connection?
By the way, I'm from Denmark! We don't have safety ground in the outlets on the wall, so no use talking about that...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
generally ..... both cases need to be safety gnd-ed

regardless of lack of brain in Denmark (regarding sagety gnd) there is no need to make different arrangement than usual - chassis on safety gnd , audio gnd through NTC to safety gnd

two PSU grounds need to meet on most important audio gnd point ... which is UGS PSU

pictures will help

Last edited:
from wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system
In Denmark the high voltage regulation (Stærkstrømsbekendtgørelsen) and Malaysia the Electricity Ordinance 1994 states that all consumers must use TT earthing, though in rare cases TN-C-S may be allowed (used in the same manner as in the United States). Rules are different when it comes to larger companies.
The wiki shows and explains a TT system.

Last edited:
Where should the grounds from the two transformers meet and which of the chassis should have the ground connection?
By the way, I'm from Denmark! We don't have safety ground in the outlets on the wall, so no use talking about that...

When you say "grounds from the two transformers" do you mean the transformer shield wire(assuming they are shielded) or the PSU grounds?

nash

The transformer does not have a ground.

The transformer secondary charges up the smoothing capacitor/s via the rectifier.
get that working first. Power that bit up via a Mains Bulb tester. Prove you have the wiring correct. The bulb should be off or glowling VERY dimmly.

There is no ground. Each smoothing capacitor will have a +ve terminal and a -ve terminal. Measure that voltage and prove you have this part wired up correctly and at your expected operating voltage.

from wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system
The wiki shows and explains a TT system.

TT is indeed what is required in any new installation in Denmark.
But even then the local earth wire is only installed to kitchens and wet rooms.

It only becomes really impossible when you live in a rented apartment that hasn't had its electrical installation renovated since the 1940'
Then you are stuck with no safety earth at all and no way to improve that situation.

If I read the Wiki correctly, it seems that RCD is compulsory.
That must be your first line of protection.
a TT installation should always have an RCD as its first isolator.
The Fuse, or MCB, stops the house burning down.

It seems you just have to be careful ensuring that all the LIVE side (L & N) should be well isolated/insulated, so that shorts to the secondary side can never occur.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.