Commercially Available F3/ ZV9 PCB's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been lurking on here for a couple of months and am a relative newbie in DIY (I do have a couple gain clones under my belt) but I am reading books (slowly) and researching and making inroads. And selling off consumer audio gear to finance DIY builds. That is progress in my book.

I was hoping to step up to a First Watt design (preferably the F3 because of the single ended class A design) but cannot locate a source for the PCB. I have purchased versions of the F5, F6, Aleph and F4 PCB from Diyaudio store but the F3 eludes me. I've chased down LU1014's as well as Toshiba JFets for a possible Aleph J build. My wife thinks I've gone nuts spending a fair bit of money on little pieces of black plastic with 3 metal legs.

Anyway Is anyone aware of an available source for F3/ZV9 pcb's? Tech-DIY Sells a kit but no PCB. I was hoping there was a vendor out there that still had Mr. Pass blessing to continue making an older board like the F3/ZV9.
Any leads would be welcome

Thanks.

BW

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi BW, there were a number of group buys for F3 and ZV9 pcbs over the
year. One person who had offered them is Peter Daniel;

diyAudio - View Profile: Peter Daniel

You might want to contact him to see if he still has some. If not, try posting
a want ad on swap meet since there are plenty of them out there. (Heck,
even I have a set of two stashed away somewhere. Maybe I can find them
sometime.)

Cheers,
Dennis

Aterren...
That would be killer. If I have a good image, I can generate what I need with AutoCAD.

I bought mine at Deep Surplus at their brick and mortar location (I live about 10 mins from them). As best I know they aren't fakes.... Still need to build my test circuit though to confirm the listed 1.1 vgs. They have an online store too.

Hey thanks guys for all your help. I gather that image file on the link is the one you are referring to.
I didn't have 'learning to etch PCB's" on my shortlist of things to learn, but if that is what it's going to take, I don't have many other options.

Mr. Daniels was a no go so it's self made PCB or bust.

Hey thanks guys for all your help. I gather that image file on the link is the one you are referring to.
I didn't have 'learning to etch PCB's" on my shortlist of things to learn, but if that is what it's going to take, I don't have many other options.

Mr. Daniels was a no go so it's self made PCB or bust.

You can always go proto board wired point to point. It is a challenge but not impossible. I have tried it some with some success and then I have seen some magic smoke too. You learn a lot.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Zen 9 PCB Traces

Here they are again. I wasn't able to download from the other linked thread.

It's recommended to use Elma Silmic II in parallel for the output cap. QTY 10, 50v, 1000uF. Per channel.

Attachments

• zv9 bottom_mirror.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 61
  • zv9 bottom_normal.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 73
  • ZV9 pcb.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 79
  • ZV9.pdf
    208.9 KB · Views: 64
  • zv9_sch.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I recently started drawing out a layout for a DC-coupled version of the ZV9/F3 with transformer input, but the project has been put on hold while I finish some other things. My proposed PCB order would have several extra pieces left over. If you are interested and don't find anything else, I can let you know if and when I pick the project back up. Unfortunately, it could be on hold for as little as a week or as long as several months. Or, I might change plans entirely...

Last edited:
I've got a pair of the Peter Daniels boards setup with average quality components that you're welcome to - could simply upgrade some of the resistors and you're done - or if you prefer, there's some of PD's bare boards here somewhere too

I've just shifted house recently so still setting up a workshop so it might take a bit to find them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.