Pass labs SR-1 speakers which pass amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,
I am looking for a piece of advice here on pass labs amplification.
I currently own pass SR-1 loudspeakers, and I used to have pass x350.5 amp,which I found a bit small to drive the sr-1, so I sold it ....
Now I am on the market for xa200.5 or x1000.5.
I know xa200.5 is 200W@8 and 400W@4 but the current according pass labs site almost doubles the current cababilities of the x350.5
Of course I am considering the x1000.5 version ,but I am a bit attached with class A fluidity...
on the other hand as x1000.5 will produce 80W pure class A and it will have a reserve of another 920 W for Dynamics and bass control&drive ,which I assume SR-1 needs as its closed construction..
Anyway I cannot get both (or even one ) for audition as our distributor has only x350.5 in stock.
I will appreciate very highly any thoughts ,as even if I decide to travel in western EU ,there are no known distributors which have this combo in stock .
and of course the most trusworthy opinion will be from (the one and only):D
Mr. Nelson Pass
thx in advance!

110db ...I dont know how many decibels ,but there was frequently need to push the volume up to make the speakers sing and instead they started to scream ...And dont get me wrong I listened the combo and enjoyed it very much ,but I am completely sure they want more power&control to shine.
Anyway I am not willing to change these beauties ,before trying to give them the right amount of amplification to listen them from the first watt to the last with pleasure.

hmmm, I told a bit small for the x350.5 (first post) in terms of control , low level detail ,bass also .At higher levels the sr-1 started to scream a bit ,and that was not their problem, but amplification and I am completely sure about that.Btw they were best at middle levels .
I dont know why we are talking about PA and xa60.5... Its a matter of taste ,and I confess I am amp freak - there are many music lovers who share that ,the beast amps sing in whole another universe (at low levels also...) maybe you should try it?
ZM?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
hmmm, I told a bit small for the x350.5 (first post) in terms of control , low level detail ,bass also .At higher levels the sr-1 started to scream a bit ,and that was not their problem, but amplification and I am completely sure about that.

How are you sure? You could have been driving the speakers beyond their comfort zone, or even overdriving the room (does happen). But you are convinced, and it is your money.

hmmm, I told a bit small for the x350.5 (first post) in terms of control , low level detail ,bass also .At higher levels the sr-1 started to scream a bit ,and that was not their problem, but amplification and I am completely sure about that.
ZM?
I was just reading up on the SR-1 apparently it has passive level controls on the crossover to adjust the frequency response.
It may be screaming because you need to make adjustments to the levels.
Have you had a chance to adjust the levels while playing the speakers at this loud volume?

Short term and long term power handling is 250W and 80W respectively for this driver
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/CNO_files/W18NX001.pdf

Short term and long term power handling is 200W and 70W respectively for this driver.
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/excel/pdfdataheet/e0044_w12cy003_datasheet.pdf

I'm not sure if either driver is used in SR-1 but the power ratings are indicative for these Seas Nextel drivers.

A 350W amp is definitely capable of driving these drivers to their full power rating without the amp voltage clipping.

If the amp is at fault for what you are hearing it is unlikely to be inadequate Voltage swing since the amp is capable of more voltage than the drivers can handle.
I'd try something with more current so XA200.8.

However I would spend some serious time making adjustments with the level controls on the crossover before jumping to, too fast a conclusion about the amp.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.