Aleph-X builder's thread. - Page 214 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2011, 06:50 PM   #2131
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judmarc View Post
Yes, may have to work with either 6 or 12 FETs per channel for a total of 12 or 24 so they can be distributed evenly across 3 sinks. Or find a wider sink to be able to use 2 or even 1.
You won't be able to build one channel and use 6 output fets. You need to use a minimum of 4 for one channel. As your power output climbs higher, it gets to be too much for a single fet so EACH fet gets doubled, for a total of 8 fets for one channel. If this is still not enough, you need to add another set of four for a total of 12 per channel. This keeps everything "even."

You might want to look into Conrad heatsinks (Australia) - though I'm not sure about shipping charges. I like the "sinks in the front" look, but this dictates lower power output due to the limited size of the sink.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:55 PM   #2132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You won't be able to build one channel and use 6 output fets. You need to use a minimum of 4 for one channel. As your power output climbs higher, it gets to be too much for a single fet so EACH fet gets doubled, for a total of 8 fets for one channel. If this is still not enough, you need to add another set of four for a total of 12 per channel. This keeps everything "even."

You might want to look into Conrad heatsinks (Australia) - though I'm not sure about shipping charges. I like the "sinks in the front" look, but this dictates lower power output due to the limited size of the sink.
Yes, I looked at the spreadsheet once again and saw only multiples of 4 were allowable. Then looked for wider sinks and found they weren't common; finally, figured out what I should have thought of before, using 4 sinks of about 5 inches each to make up the 20" across the front, which will always give an equal number of FETs per sink. The Conrad MF12 series are about 5" in length, and the 150mm length, about 6", is rated at .57 c/w. Four of these would give me .1425 c/w, which would allow me to have an amp rated at about 65wpc with junction and heatsink temps of 74.1c and 49.2c, respectively. (8 FETs per channel, so 4 per sink.) But there is the shipment from Australia thing. I'll keep looking, though.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:25 AM   #2133
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Here area few profiles that might work for you from M&M -they are in Texas and when I ordered, they had as $200 minimum.

http://www.mmmetals.com/extrusions/drawings/MM12310.JPG
http://www.mmmetals.com/extrusions/drawings/MM12878.JPG
Old 21st November 2011, 03:48 PM   #2134
Hdale85 is offline Hdale85  United States
diyAudio Member

Any idea what the MM12878 extrusions cost? Or know of some other extrusion from someone else that has something similar to what Nelson uses on the real amps? I like the way those look and they seem to work a lot better then the flat bar style.
Old 22nd November 2011, 03:17 PM   #2135
diyAudio Member

Nevermind, got a quote from MM, basically 1200 bucks for 8 ~12" long pieces..... yikes.
Old 2nd December 2011, 05:34 PM   #2136
oiphy is offline oiphy  Norway
diy newbie
diyAudio Member

Hdale85 try this : heatsinkusa.com
Old 6th December 2011, 07:26 PM   #2137
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that! Certainly some nice prices for normal extrusions. I was hoping to find a decent price on some of the ones like Nelson uses on his real amps though. I'll figure something out, I just like those sexy heatsinks
Old 6th December 2011, 07:35 PM   #2138
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

these are made with tools (extrusion matrix ) owned exclusively by Pass Labs
Old 7th December 2011, 03:52 PM   #2139
diyAudio Member

For his particular sinks yes, there are some that are similar some what though like the 12878's from MM.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:36 PM   #2140
nevera is offline nevera  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default aleph x

Hello everyone I am building an Aleph X, mono type can be entered by RCA 30Watios just give us? Balanced and have adequate power of 100 watts

Hide this!Advertise here!