Aleph-X builder's thread. - Page 211 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2011, 11:19 AM   #2101
diyAudio Member

Eric,

My friend change of idea because 100W it's very expensive for him, could you help me for current bias, transformer voltage & power, heatsink, to do a J-X 50W?

Surely I will buy GB Peter Daniel J-X boards

Thank you
Felipe
Old 10th March 2011, 05:33 PM   #2102
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Felipe,

Play around with the attached excel from Wuffwaf (?). Note that the transformer and heatsink ratings are for one channel. I've given you a head start.

Regards,
Joris
Attached Files
File Type: zip AJ-X 50W.zip (13.8 KB, 278 views)
Old 10th March 2011, 08:43 PM   #2103
diyAudio Member

Thank you Joris
Old 11th March 2011, 05:18 PM   #2104
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Felipe,

My recommendation is very similar to what Joris has indicated. What you have not specified, though, is the load presented by your speakers. If you want 50w into an 8ohm load, this is somewhat "easier" (less bias, less heat, smaller heatsink, smaller chassis, more light weight chassis, etc) than building an amp that will deliver 50w into a 4 ohm load.

Or, you could design the amp to provide approx 50w into both an 8ohm and 4 ohm load. A design like this would have rail voltage of about 17v, bias of 5.0A (easily adjustable with the trim pots), AC Current gain to 50%, use 2 fets per quadrant (8 output fets total), and total heatsinking of 0.15c/w per channel. This design would utilize a 500VA transformer with something like 14vac or 15vac secondaries. Basically any transformer that you need would have to be a custom build for you, its unlikely that you would find an "off the shelf" ready made transformer to suit your needs.

If you optimize for an 8 ohm load at 50w, you might be able to get away with only 4 fets total per channel, but still need 0.15c/w worth of heat sinks. This design would consume approx 150w out of the wall socket and run slightly cooler in temperature than the version above (though keep the heat sinking the same).

Optimizing for a 4 ohm load at 50w, you should use 8 fets total per channel due to the higher bias setting. This design would consume approx 200w of power from the wall outlet and keep the final heat sink temperature somewhere in the 45-50c range.

Hope this helps a little...

Last edited by Eric; 11th March 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 05:59 PM   #2105
diyAudio Member

Thanks for help Eric.
Old 6th April 2011, 03:25 PM   #2106
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

they look so rubbery

edit:

just because I can't see those pictures ( Donuts) which look so rubbery , it's obvious that I hit "reply" button in wrong thread .........

Last edited by Zen Mod; 6th April 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 17th April 2011, 09:36 PM   #2107
diyAudio Member

I joined this forum about 4 months ago in what started out as a project to repair an A75 I built about 15 years ago. Great amp I might add...but a little finnicky. I had gotten away from this hobby at the behest of my wife...(I'm sure a few of you here know what I'm referreing to). Anyway, this repair project has reminded me how much I enjoy building audio gear...and listening to your work. After everything I've read on this thread about the AX I need to build one. Does Peter still have PCBs available and how would I go about contacting him? I'm still new here and trying to find my way around. What it would take in terms of number of frontend and PSB boards to do a couple 100w monoblocks?

Dan
Old 28th June 2011, 08:15 PM   #2108
UMarcus is offline UMarcus  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'll very interested to build a Aleph X, first question is where i can get actual pcbs or gerber files of 100PWR variant with main and transistor pcbs for 12 irf's ?

Thanks,
regards
UMarcus
Old 29th June 2011, 12:44 PM   #2109
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMarcus View Post
I'll very interested to build a Aleph X, first question is where i can get actual pcbs or gerber files of 100PWR variant with main and transistor pcbs for 12 irf's ?Thanks,regardsUMarcus
ALEPH-X - Pass Labs Clone Class-A amplifier PCB & schematic
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:43 PM   #2110
nevera is offline nevera  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default proyecto aleph x

Hi, this is the first time I write in this forum, and I'm making me a monophonic Aleph X 100 W I? plates purchased from Kristijan KKpcb Could you indicate how many watts does this modelo.Para sink sinks to purchase adequate
thanks
Anthony

Hide this!Advertise here!