Aleph-X builder's thread. - Page 179 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2009, 12:57 PM   #1781
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have some un-built boards. PM me if you're interested.
Old 18th June 2009, 06:42 PM   #1782
diyAudio Member

Hi labjr,

actually I am in the need of two boards. It seems that I am a little late for group orders and I also could not find any Gerber files so far.
I have even considered point-to-point wiring.
Anyway, I would happily buy the boards for two mono blocks.
Drop me an email, in case you cold help me out. This is my first post, so I can't email.

Manfred
Old 18th June 2009, 07:03 PM   #1783
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...13#post1857313

Patrick
Old 12th September 2009, 08:50 AM   #1784
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated power supply

I had my AX up & running OK using a variac to bring the voltage rails upto +/- 15v (this is the "standard" AX, 15v & 4.5A total quiescent current).

I switched to regulators - in order to drop the voltage from the 18v transformer windings, so after the dual bridge rectifiers i now have 100,000uf, followed by an LT1083 regulator followed by a further 100,000uf. The ouputs are then connected to give me split rails & it all works OK.

I have the following questions;

Does the current draw of the AX vary much - I.e. "most" class A amps are considered to have a constant current draw, but in reality the current varies between 0 and 2Iq - with the AX being symmetrical does this rule also apply or is the current draw pretty well constant?

Should i consider parallelling LT1083 regulators to provide more current capability - i am pulling 4.5 amps and the device is capable of supplying 7.5 amps - would an additional device on each rail be beneficial?

I currently have the reservoir capacitors either side of the regulator - should i revise the arrangement to perhaps have say only 20,000uf before the regulator and put the 200,000uf after the regulator?
Old 12th September 2009, 09:46 AM   #1785
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Hi Jason, you should look at the datasheet. P=VI so work out how much they are dissipating, your well under the max current rating, but thats only half the story. I ssupect from what youve said one should suffice if its properly heatsinked.
Old 13th September 2009, 09:46 AM   #1786
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated power supply

The power supply works just fine as it is and the device is operating well within manufacturers specs.

What i wanted to know was would an additional regulator give sonic benefits in that it would provide additional peak current capability if it were ever required? More to the point, will it ever be required? (i.e. will there be varying current requirements or does the symetrical nature of the amplifier pull a constant current?)

Are the capacitors best placed or would a different configuration yield better results?
Old 13th September 2009, 10:08 AM   #1787
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
The Aleph-x draws a constant current, so if its stable now its good to go.
Two regs will half the output impeadance of the psu so it may make an improvement, but I expect you would need to try it and see.
Old 30th September 2009, 08:49 AM   #1788
diyAudio Member

Can anyone help me understand the difference between the Aleph X and Aleph J-X? I want to build a pair of mono-blocks based on the Aleph design. Also, it seems I am a few months late (at least) for getting in on a group buy. Are any group buys planed for the future or does anyone have unbuilt boards they would sell?

Thanks!
Cam
Old 30th September 2009, 08:31 PM   #1789
The one and only

I believe the J-X basically replaces the input Mosfets with JFETs.

Old 5th October 2009, 11:30 PM   #1790
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to scatterbrain001
Hi, I am interested at this time in building an amplifier, I like yours , could you please tell me if there is any Printed Circuit Boards made, or if there has ever been an amplifier prototype made in your design, and what were the results

Thank You

scatterbrain001

Hide this!Advertise here!