Aleph-X builder's thread. - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2006, 05:47 PM   #1041
gilfo1 is offline gilfo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I think I spent about $500 in drivers and crossover parts for the pair. I probably spent another $120 at Homedepot for the cabs. But I first spent around $400 on woodworking tools! ( Router and bits, air compressor and nailer, and compound mitre saw )
However, I have been fixing up my house so my girlfriend actually bought me some of the tools. ( She has learned that power tools directly benefit her and the house... )

I am noticing a pattern here for the aleph x. I am ramping up on tools again, pre-project. My Fluke 8050a and variable dc power supply should arrive this week! ( Don't think she'll spring for any test gear ;-)

-Luke
Old 17th January 2006, 09:23 PM   #1042
joho is offline joho  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Small hum at AX-output solved

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixie
No, it's an RC, or RC and a C across the secondary of the transformer, before the rectifiers.
Hi gents,

Last day's i did some experiments with snubber circuits around the rectifier bridge(different value's and positions except...) because there was some small hum in the output signal of my AX-amp and when i looked with a scope i saw 100hz ****(see earlier mail).
After a few hours without any result i became a little angry and dismount the transformer(800va and a hell of a job) to exclude inductive coupling/radiation problems and put it in front of the chassis. ... the "hum" didn't change !!! uhhhhh
Just before a nervous breakdown i pull at some wiring and something happened.
The two massive 2,5mm wires which are responsible for the zero of the two rectifier bridges work like antenna's and radiate the line-frequentie in my system. ...oeps!
After this diagnose i change the lenght of that wiring and pull it away from the powerfetboards and other wiring(never make wiring beautiful).
The improvement is around 70% and the hum level is very,very low now.
I didn't try the rc-snubber across the secondary winding of the transformer yet maybe it's THE sollution for the last 30%.
Before the weekend i let you know.

Gr.
Johan.
Old 21st January 2006, 07:04 PM   #1043
diyAudio Member

Default Updated Aleph X parts list

Hi Guys,

Despite everyones' advice to build an easier project, I have to build the Aleph X.
I teach sound recording and get up several times a year and extol the virtues of differential balanced signal transmission.

When I read NP's white paper on the X amps, I was blown away that he applied the balancing phenominon to amplifiers...
I still am blown away...

All that said:

Does anyone know of an updated parts list for the ~40 watt version of the Aleph X?

I have been looking at Grey's original list and am just wondering if things have changed since then.

As usual thanks to everyone, especially NP.

-Luke
Old 21st January 2006, 07:29 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Luke, Here's the thread regarding a high-powered version.

Aleph-X: High-Power Version

-David
Old 21st January 2006, 08:10 PM   #1045
diyAudio Member

I consider the original Aleph-X to be a decent intermediate to advanced project. You want to build it for a first project? That's fine by me. As far as I'm concerned, the original schematic and Bill Of Materials stand, with one exception. I recommend the addition of Ian MacMillian's resistors from the outputs back to the front end CCS.
That's not to say that you can't find other things to modify, but then you quickly get swamped in permutations that may or may not actually make the amp sound better. For instance, if I were to start with a clean sheet of paper and design the amp today, I would probably use a series resistor and pot instead of the two resistors and a pot in the original front end CCS. Would the amp sound different? No. But in the event that the pot failed open, it would be less disruptive.
There are other things that I might do, but then again I might just hold them in reserve for another project. I've got power JFETs to play with now, you know.

Grey

P.S.: I consider the addition of a straight cascoded JFET to the outputs of an Aleph-X to be a trivial project. I'll let someone else do it.
Old 21st January 2006, 08:26 PM   #1046
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Low Power ?

Is any one building a low power version of this amp ?
Old 21st January 2006, 09:09 PM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Awesome Grey!

After all my reading here, you are truly a folk hero!

Thanks. I am getting ready to order parts, at least those I need to match. I am setting up a "bench" at work so I can do several a day.

I'm sure you'll all be hearing from me again!

Thanks Again,

Luke
Old 21st January 2006, 10:38 PM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Luke,
Catch me on a day when I'm desperate for hours in a day and/or short on sleep--which is not all that infrequent, come to think of it. I'll quickly convince you that an exorcist is needed...badly.

Grey
Old 21st January 2006, 10:50 PM   #1049
diyAudio Member

!
Old 14th February 2006, 04:13 AM   #1050
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
As far as I'm concerned, the original schematic and Bill Of Materials stand, with one exception. I recommend the addition of Ian MacMillian's resistors from the outputs back to the front end CCS.***
Grey
Ahhh.....where are those resistors??? what is going on??

Hide this!Advertise here!