Aleph-X builder's thread.

J-fet Aleph-X anybody?

I very well understand that I may be a bit off topic but I thing thats the right place to ask a silly(maybe not) idea that came to my mind today.
Of course as i did not red all the threads, somebody else may have though of it before.
So here it is, since I only need less than 10W of power for my horn loaded 15" tannoys, I would like to ask if it is possible to build an aleph-x using extremely low voltage, something like +/-8V lets say. I know this is not possible with IRFP240s as the point falls out of linear region.
BUT what if we try the lovely Lovotech's Jfets that happen to work very linearly in that voltage region?

Regards,

Panos

Hi Panos29,

Look in the main Aleph-X thread. There was a large discussion on a JFET front end for the Aleph-X. It eventually died. There were too many power dissipation related issues.

You are correct about the MOSFET non-linearity issues with low rail voltages. It's been discussed a lot.

Other than that your idea of a JFET input / JFET output low power Aleph-X is a good one and I would encourage you to go for it. I figure you're not the only one that's had this idea.

Regards,
Graeme

Aleph X High Power Connections

Hello everyone, I've been looking at the A-X high power connections to multiple MOSFETs. Seems like there is some talk about how to connect these but nothing definitive. So I have looked at all this and I think it goes as follows, let me know if this is wrong-

Aleph X Schematic (left side) Multiple Outputs

Here are some options for using this information to connect Grey's boards to multiple output devices (again please post if any of these are incorrect).

Aleph X Multiple Devices Option 1

Aleph X Multiple Devices Option 2

Aleph X Multiple Devices Option 3

I think I'll use Option 3, which appears to be the best.

- thanks

(Killowatski- do the output boards look familiar?)

Re: Aleph X High Power Connections

I've edited the links- please don't wait 5 more days to tell me this does not work.

Hello everyone, I've been looking at the A-X high power connections to multiple MOSFETs. Seems like there is some talk about how to connect these but nothing definitive. So I have looked at all this and I think it goes as follows, let me know if this is wrong-

Aleph X Schematic (left side) Multiple Outputs

Here are some options for using this information to connect Grey's boards to multiple output devices (again please post if any of these are incorrect).

Aleph X Multiple Devices Option 1

Aleph X Multiple Devices Option 2

Aleph X Multiple Devices Option 3

I think I'll use Option 3, which appears to be the best.

- thanks

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think none of your drawings are correct. I took a long look and did a complete redraw. Feel free to comment and correct.
I wouldn't use the jumpers accross the gate resistors but wire directly to the Ext connections.

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• conn_31.jpg
    conn_31.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,222
Hugo,

Your redraw looks the same as LGreen's option 1 to me.

What he didn't emphasize is that his other options make use of 2 or three terminal screw connectors in the holes for the ouput devices. That is why he jumpered the gate resistors. I don't see any issues with them, but it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong ;)