Aleph-X builder's thread.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Both the rectifiers and the transformer criteria depend a lot on the power they'll have to deliver.
A bit of overkill is never bad on a real class A amp.
You'll find a lot of calculators here and on the net.
Roughly, three times the real power dissipation is plenty to stay in the SOA.

/Hugo

I don't understand how to simulate the power supply with PSUD.

In a previous repply (p.26), Hifizen had use a constant-current .
Shouldn't we use a resistor who represent the loudspeakers ?
Because result of the simulation doesn't give the same result (fonction of the impedance of the loudspeaker).

I hope you understand what i'm saying !
:)whazzat:)

Hi,

the PSU is connected to the amp, not to the loudspeaker. Since it is a class A amp the current won´t be affected by the speaker impedance or the power that is sent to the speaker.
Therefore you can simulate the load on the power supply by setting the bias current as a constant current.

William

Hi all,

What do you think about this configuration ? :

-> CRCRC : 22mF / 1.5Ohm / 22mF / 1Ohm / 47mF .
with a 2x25V transformer .
->On the simulation i have 20V at exit.
->i had simulated it with PSU Designer and with a constant current for the load (4.5A).

Does it work ?
(Because i'm not shure of the result)

Hi,

it will work but have a closer look at the power the R's are dissipating:

2 x 1.5 x4.5^2 plus 2 x 1 x 4.5^2 = ca. 100Watts

This is a bit too much for my liking.

It is much better to use a C-L-C configuration with a 1.5 to 2.2mH coil. This gives a lot less power dissipation and more ripple attenuation.

So something like 47mF-2.2mH-47mF would be nice for 4.5A

William

150mOhm. 22 V RMS from unloaded transformer, one set of rectifiers for each rail. 22 VDC per rail out after all filters at 6 A. Things other than the R that affect voltage are transformer secondary resistance and capacitor ESR. In PSUD, replacing the R with 1.1uH gives me an extra volt per rail.

I have multiple primary taps so I can get lower voltage. By having a switch for that and also different bias setting, I'll be able to switch between different power levels and have it optimal for different speaker impedances.