DIY FirstWatt F4 and McIntosh C48?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So. Left hand now in use again. Summer holiday in Camogli, Italy over. All this means that the Cool Danish summer weather beckons a return to the F4. In particular because I have an Ear 868 in the house. I can't wait to have a working F4 here also.

Challenges: revisit the build manuals, build the gain stage, check the config of the psu (Aleph-3 Power supply), fitting the puzzle of inputs-soft start module-gain stage-power amp cards-psu-transformer-output to balanced (connect +test everything. Oh and did I mention that I have little skills in soldering? I need to practise.

A bit of progress:
I drilled and made new screw holes in the heatsinks for the amp boards (rev. 1) and mounted the jfets with oversize washers (only ones I could get my hands on). I need to check the schematic against the amp boards to see if all resistors are the correct ones (as I seem to recall that values were changed from the very first schematic to a later one).

Photos:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuxF4gJ_6qu_xHR_JZV4quysFqEv

Last edited:
Have contact with an exprienced local DIY.-gentleman. I hope to learn a few tricks.

Also may have got myself a back-up power amp, an ESS 200 - a company I understand that Mr. Pass once worked for at the beginning of the 70s. However, Mr. Pass was probably busy learning his trade by building speakers / cross-overs. It would be one hell of a coincidence to have two "Nelson Pass amps" in my posession.

Back to the build: Pre = Ear 868L + Eastern Electric Minimax BBA bufffer

So, a long long time has passed with my F4 build gathering dust in a closet. Within a few days I will take delivery of an Eastern Electric MiniMax BBA buffer, so I don't think that there is any need to populate the BA2 board. Thus I can finish the build quite a lot sooner than expected. I will not need to solder at lot (which is a god thing, I believe).

For the testing I will have to have some help from local people, however.

My set-up has changed:
- I traded in the McIntosh C48 for an EAR 868L
- I will use a buffer pre (the Eastern Electric MiniMax BBA) between the 868L and the FirstWatt F4 to see how that works out.

I have been more tied up with work - teaching English - than expected, so now that I have a good five week stretch of holiday ahead of me, I will dust off the project and see if I can finish it before going back to work.

Another thought: will my EAR 868PL be able to swing enough volts and gain to use the F4 without the Buffer? Hmmm.
But really, I just need to place everything and wire them together as tidily as can be ssen in the F4 build guide. Then I will have to take the amp to someone who can help me test and adjust the power amp as I don't trust myself to do that properly.

EAR 912 in the house

Alright. Lots have been going on here (yet not with the F4 FirstWatt build ...). I now have an EAR 912 in the house. I also bought a renovated Amcron / Crown D150 Series 2 power amp to tie me over since I am taking such long time getting on with my build of the F4 FirstWatt.

Next I am going to place a table in my study. On that, I will put my FirstWatt F4 build so I have eastý access to it on a daily basis. Until now I have had to put it away in a closet at the end of every build session. This way I can slowly get on with my build slowly but surely.

I will first try to finish the F4 build without the BA2 buffer in.

Last edited:
So another few months went by. Today I started looking at wiring as that is basically my next step if I can do without the BA2 frontend.

I have the following (assembled)-not everything mounted
- an Amplino 88014 toroidal transformer - mounted
- an Avondale soft start module mounted on the back panel of the 4U enclosure
- a psu ready - mounted
- two mounted F4 boards ready
- wires galore (shielded and unshielded)
- 4U Deluxe enclosure with all components mounted
- One bridge barrier + 2 x bridge rectifiers: none of them mounted

I have changed set-up once again:
EAR 802 preamp
Partridge 977 SUT
EAR 516 (in the UK for service)
Thorens TD 147 Jubilee + TP 16 + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR
Line Magnetic 502 CA DAC with Mullards and Tungsol rectifier valves.
Quad ESL 57 (with One Thing bass panels)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.