Is the B1 what I'm looking for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
This is my first official post in the forum and hopefully this will be my first build here.
I built a tube amp a few years ago. It´s a nice 2X18 Watt and I am very happy with it but I would like to to add a preamp to it since it has only one input (which I have been using with a CD player). Now I would like to add a couple more sources .
The amp has already a voltage amplifier stage so I don't need any more gain. Also, I'm using an Alps 100K pot in it for volume control and I want to take it out of the circuit and replace it with a step ladder attenuator to improve sound quality. So it seems like the B1 would be a nice preamp to accomplish all my needs and get my feet wet with SS ... and on top of that I would like to build myself a nice F5 in the future, so I could use the B1 with it (or build a different preamp, who knows...)
I guess my question is , is this a good Idea? do tubes and SS components get along in the long run?
Thanks in advance for your help guys, cheers.
Suso.

I did one very similar idea to that several years ago however in place of each FETs I used a triode element of 6N1P valve. I had 6 inputs from standard 2x6 way selector pot, Alps volume pot and packed it all into Hammond case complete with transformer inverter. This inverter allowed me to use 12V AC "wall-wart" power supply. Surprising was (I used it with LM1875 gainclones) - no hum and no switch on or off thump apparent!

Here's what it came out like...

Attachments

• 758.jpg
    758.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 759.jpg
    759.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0449.jpg
    IMAG0449.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.