Zen Lite Buffer Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i`ve just finnished by Zen Lite. it sound wonderful.

i`ve heard about implimenting a buffer stage to raise the low input impedence. i saw someone who used a BS250 mosfet as a buffer, problem being his suppy rail is 35volts while mine is 75volts.

does anyone has the schematics for a simple buffer stage i can impliment for my zen lite?

hacknet said:
Hi i`ve just finnished by Zen Lite. it sound wonderful.

i`ve heard about implimenting a buffer stage to raise the low input impedence. i saw someone who used a BS250 mosfet as a buffer, problem being his suppy rail is 35volts while mine is 75volts.

does anyone has the schematics for a simple buffer stage i can impliment for my zen lite?

Do you really need to increase the input impedance? You said it sounds wonderful so what's the "problem" that you're trying to solve?

se

well, i`m running it off a tube preamp with a output capacitor. with the low impedence of the zen lite, the bass rolls off at 60hz.

i`m not suffering now as my below 100hz bass is augmented with a sub. i`m just looking for a way to raise it so i can sleep at night..

hacknet said:
well, i`m running it off a tube preamp with a output capacitor. with the low impedence of the zen lite, the bass rolls off at 60hz.

i`m not suffering now as my below 100hz bass is augmented with a sub. i`m just looking for a way to raise it so i can sleep at night..

Ah...

How much excess gain do you have in your system? If you have about 12dB to spare, one simple (and passive) solution would be a 1:4 stepdown transformer.

Not only would your preamp see a higher load impedance (about 40k if you use something like the Jensen JT-10KB-D or DPC) but your Zen would see a much lower source impedance (rougly about 16 times lower).

So, if you've got some gain to spare, might as well put it to good use. :)

se

Hi hacknet,
have a look at this thread.
The last post shows a schematic with a buffer.
The only difference would be that you have much higher voltage rails. You´d have to scale R2 so that you get the appropriate voltage for your buffer.
Just think you have 75V drain at the regulator Q3 and your buffer draws 50mA for example you´d need R2 to be 800Ohms to lose 40V. The resistor then would have to dissipate about 2W so you want to use a 3W resistor at least for that purpose.

Cheers
Jens

PS.: The buffer is described quite well in ZenV4 on the passdiy-site.

hacknet said:
well, my tubes are in a cathode follower fashion. and its about right now. i think i can get 12dB more gain.

from my memory, step-down transformers arn`t too cheap rite...?

No, they aren't exactly cheap. The Jensen model I mentioned previously run about $70 each. Though you could probably find something less expensive from Sowter or Lundhal.

se

If you use Till´s schematic with the regulator in you´ll lose about 4V so that you´ll have about 70-71V at the source of Q3 (I meant the source pin in my last post as well as I thought you won´t use the regulator).
So if you still use R2=800Ohms and your buffer draws 50mA you´ll get about 30-31V at C5.
Q2 (IRF9610) won´t have a problem with too high voltage anyway but if you use the BS250 you´d have to get voltage down somehow.

i actually started with the intentions of finding a ZVP3310. but could not find them, i thought of farnell but i din`t want to trouble them over a couple of transistors. so i`m left with the BS250. thats i`m using now.

one question, is there a certain formula i can use to determine the amount of current it will draw, i know how it works for tubes but can`t seem to find the equivilant graph for a fet. i`ll be gratefull for the help... thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.