Increase gain and output power of my F5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have a stock F5 amplifier (I bought it from FirstWatt a while ago). Since I changed to smaller speakers with lower efficiency (around 86 dB/W) I am thinking about my options to get a bit more oomph and louder music:

• Can I modify the F5 for more gain (without reducing feedback / damping factor)?
  • Can I modify the F5 for more power (using the same chassis)?

I know this information is probably available in existing threads, but it's just way too much to read. It would be great if someone could lead me the way...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
- no , without altering amount of NFB , which will lead to reducing DF

-no , without changing PSU to higher rails and most probably cascoding input JFets , when you are already in area of needing bigger heatsinks ; read F5 Turbo article to see what different levels are

easy ; first find Thor ...... :clown:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
- no , without altering amount of NFB , which will lead to reducing DF

Ok. Then I'll check if I can increase the gain of my preamp.

-no , without changing PSU to higher rails and most probably cascoding input JFets , when you are already in area of needing bigger heatsinks ; read F5 Turbo article to see what different levels are

Hmmm (page 3 in the PDF):
Increasing the power supply voltage is the obvious way to get more power out of an F5. You can simply raise the supply rails to +/-32 Volts and get 50 watts into 8 ohms right away without other modification.

Has anyone done this, is it worth it?

easy ; first find Thor ...... :clown:

Ok, ok, replacing my F5 with a F5T(hor) may be the way out. How much better would this be than just increasing the PSU voltage of my existing F5? Also, can someone recommend any F5-Turbo kits (PCBs, matched transistors)?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When I used F5 with mid 80 db speakers I similarly needed bigger hammer. Building BA-3 preamp did the trick.

I did not experience any obvious clipping at reasonable levels. Likely pushed into AB at times.

Like someone else here said, get different speakers, if you must rock out.
Russellc

Last edited:
when you are already in area of needing bigger heatsinks

Not sure what you're trying to tell me. But my impression was that if I'd go for higher PSU voltage I'd have to lower the bias current in order to stay within the temperature / heatsink limits. I guess that would mean the amp would leave class A before reaching the max output power. Should I try that or is it a waste of time and money (I'd have to build a new power supply)?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not sure what you're trying to tell me. But my impression was that if I'd go for higher PSU voltage I'd have to lower the bias current in order to stay within the temperature / heatsink limits. I guess that would mean the amp would leave class A before reaching the max output power. Should I try that or is it a waste of time and money (I'd have to build a new power supply)?

exactly, on all accounts

waste of money and nice amp originality

go and build properly new one , from scratch

Your amp has around +/-23VDC rails at this time. and the PSU have 25V caps. how much can you raise the rail voltage?

so you need new caps and new transformer. just to get a lower biased class A/B amp? or you can get a New chassis as wel. but then the output transistors will stop you in your way. best to stay within 30W dissipation pr output. you can og higher at lifetime cost.

Last edited:
How loud are you listening and how big is the room? Have you tried putting a voltmeter set to ac on the terminals and seeing how many watts you are actually using when listening loud? You may need current, not more wattage. Especially if the speakers are 4 ohm or have low impedance dips.

The best way to optimal satisfaction .........
Solution 95 dB or more efficiency ........

Better off reading F5T article. All 4 version are there, including original F5.

You'll need a larger transformer and higher voltage caps for F5T v1. Probably other changes as well.
......if you want F-5 Turbo tricks, build it, don't ruin your nice factory F-5.........

I have a stock F5 amplifier (I bought it from FirstWatt..........
keep your FirstWatt for efficient speakers. and go DIY for your low efficency speakers.

Don't bugger up your factory FirstWatt.

Ok, I am considering a new build:

I want about 50W to 100W in the 4-16 Ohm range. With rail voltage of +/-40VDC and a total idle current of 5A, I calculated the following effective output power:
- 50W at 16 Ohm and 100W at 8 Ohm (voltage limited)
- 50W at 4 Ohm (class-A, current limited), and more if going to class B is allowed
- The heat dissipation would be 2*40V*5A = 400W for a monoblock

First question: do these number seem correct?

Second question: how many output device pairs do I need? I could use many device pairs at a low idle current each, or I could use fewer pairs at a higher current. Which is better (soundwise and from an engineering perspective)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.