Running Transistors Cold

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I've always wanted to build a water cooled computer. I was very interested to find that you can even run computers below ambient temperature with the use of peltier cooling units.

I have no need for a water cooled computer. At present even my Mac Mini is overkill and I'm certain my next investment will be in a netbook.

On the other hand, I have the parts laying around for an Amp Camp.

My question is, how cold can I safely run the MOSFETS? The spec sheet gives numbers for an operating temperature of 77 degrees. In class-a amplification they run hotter than that but I'm wondering about the opposite. With antifreeze I could run them below freezing, but I'd like to know a reasonable expectation.

-Y

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'll handle condensation by incasing the boards in a solid block of acrylic resin.

Last edited:
MOSFET's work better cold than hot. The actual silicon chip could work near absolute zero, but the potential problem of operating at even -55C is mechanical stress cracking or breaking silicon chip, bonding wires or MOSFET package.

Water cooling will transfer heat away from MOSFET more efficiently than air. You are not going to cool MOSFET anywhere close to any potential problems or limitations.

There are now several good and cheap liquid cooling systems for computers. I got one with rebate for about $35 and it keeps my 125W processor at under 25C above ambient at full load. It would be interesting to see how well such a cooler would work for cooling MOSFETs in an amplifier.

the cooler you can keep your devices the more reliable they will be.
If you can keep the transistor cases at ambient temperature then you will reduce the thermal stresses a bit as well.
Taking the heatsink to slightly below ambient will be required to keep Tc=Ta

I would not go for super cooling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.