BF862 instead of 2sk170?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have switched from using the 2SK170 to the BF862 in all my projects. The sound is more neutral and authoritative - no added warmness. The BF862 is an SMD SOT-23 which is a PITA, but worth the extra effort to me. I have a bunch of 2SK170's left if anyone wants to buy them from me cheap.

I bought some just to look at with my last order from Mouser. About half the size of a grain of rice with 3 connections to solder. Looks like a ball of fun soldering them! You cannot beat the price and I am glad we have alternatives to the Toshiba and LSK's though.

I bought some just to look at with my last order from Mouser. About half the size of a grain of rice with 3 connections to solder. Looks like a ball of fun soldering them! You cannot beat the price and I am glad we have alternatives to the Toshiba and LSK's though.

"You cannot beat the price and I am glad we have alternatives to the Toshiba and LSK's though"...

+1 - just need the best way of implementing to though hole pcb's :). Might be wires as you wrote wdecho:)

Have anyone made readings on these with appropriate instruments?

Regards

Last edited:
Be mindful of 2 things using the BF862
1) you must use gate stopper resistor OR ferrite bead on the gate lead. The intended purpose of the BF862 was RF.

2) Idss runs high and the devices run warm. A TO92 transistor will dissipate heat through its legs, for the BF862 the PCB trace thickness should be mindful of the added purpose of dissipating heat.

If you are using an SMT adapter, use a 100R resistor instead of wire for the gate lead.

1) you must use gate stopper resistor OR ferrite bead on the gate lead. The intended purpose of the BF862 was RF.

2) Idss runs high and the devices run warm. A TO92 transistor will dissipate heat through its legs, for the BF862 the PCB trace thickness should be mindful of the added purpose of dissipating heat.

If you are using an SMT adapter, use a 100R resistor instead of wire for the gate lead.

No free lunch then...

Regards

I went to UChicago, a free lunch is a mistake on behalf of the buyer or seller as the case may be.

Here's one i just happened to be testing for noise:

Attachments

• BF862_Noise.jpg
    BF862_Noise.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,524

agreed the fact as its a RF Jfet but adding 100ohm at the gate doesnt swamp out the noise advantage of the jfet?
Is it compulsory to use 100ohm resistor at gate?

To get the heat out you need to thermally connect directly to the substrate, which is glued onto the gate pin.
Then you need a decent surface area, like 4x5mm, in order to provide enough surface area for heat transfer to the heat sink.
That means an adaptor PCB with a large gate pad.
Then probably a special sink 4x 5mm, to make it into a TO92 compatible device.

Can be done, won't be less than 1 USD, plus soldering and gluing.
Work costs money.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.