BAF 2015 Coverage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One x 600mm long case using 4 of these MF30-151.5 (2 joined length wise per side) looks like will take care of business. Make it as narrow as you like

Conrad Heatsinks - Products
Conrad Heatsinks - Technical Details

Thank you - this is getting closer.

My thinking is a 200mm wide heat sink that is about 600mm long. Depending on the fin height, this can certainly meet the dissipation requirements of 192W. This would form the backside of a vertical monoblock, and the front side will be either a wood or metal structure which together makes a stand for my speaker. So far. the Austerltz KS216 looks good, but that can be pretty pricy.

Thank you - this is getting closer.

My thinking is a 200mm wide heat sink that is about 600mm long. Depending on the fin height, this can certainly meet the dissipation requirements of 192W. This would form the backside of a vertical monoblock, and the front side will be either a wood or metal structure which together makes a stand for my speaker. So far. the Austerltz KS216 looks good, but that can be pretty pricy.

Do you mean a 200mm wide Amp?

Wow, I am speechless. That's pretty amazing, although it's a little more than what I have in mind. I have attached a picture of the speakers I use, the Guarneri Memento's. Mine are in "Rosso". The stands that come with them are steel and hollow, and at least to me, not the best complement to the speakers' prowess.

When papa was presenting yesterday, and said - at 54:28 on Mike's video - "you can build it....you should rush out and acquire the parts and do it", I was sold. That's the power of a great idea, and this idea is truly a great idea. It has enough power as a Class A SE to easily drive my 4 Ohm speakers, and with judicious coupling, the speaker will live very happily on top of a structure that offers plenty of dissipation for the 90+ W, and position the speakers at the ideal listening height.

I apologize if my entries are hijacking this thread about BAF coverage to become a how-to on the IXFN140N20P amp, but this amp is truly a great gift from papa, and it promises to be made even more real than he said in his presentation yesterday. ZM or other mods - please feel free to move this if you'd like but the power of this idea - the buildability and the clear transfomer arrangement of he Schade feedback - is why I keep coming back and asking questions.

Thanks to papa, and please keep the ideas coming!

Hello ci11. The resulting hot air from the heat sink stand will rise straight up and bathe the loudspeaker with warmth. The loudspeaker may have been designed to operate within a narrow range of ambient temperatures; unless it has basis in automotive components. Expansion of metal of the drivers, and the possible accelerated loss of plasticizer in the woofer surround may impact the parent sound.

Yes. Think of a speaker stand with a 200mm wide, 600mm tall heat sink at the back, with front and sides to be made from wood or metal to keep the heat sink vertical, and the speaker at the correct vertical height. In other words, a modern "field coil."
Tall heastsinks are nowhere near as efficient. You really need to run them 600mm length ways (not 600mm in height) to get the cooling you require, unless you decide to resort to adding a fan

Hello ci11. The resulting hot air from the heat sink stand will rise straight up and bathe the loudspeaker with warmth. The loudspeaker may have been designed to operate within a narrow range of ambient temperatures; unless it has basis in automotive components. Expansion of metal of the drivers, and the possible accelerated loss of plasticizer in the woofer surround may impact the parent sound.

Yes, I am aware of the heat rising. My current setup has a 50mm thick "plinth" of solid maple underneath each speaker. The coupling is BluTack. The plinth is then coupled to the floor. This has worked out sonically very well, and appearance-wise, somewhat acceptable as well since my speakers are in maple, albeit a different color.

So the "stand stand" would couple to the plinth, and the plinth to the speakers. In this setup, there is a 2mm air cushion between the speakers and the plinth. If 50mm proves to be insufficient and there is a noticeable temp rise on the speaker cabinet, I go to a 60 or 70mm plinth. Sonically, the plinth appears to help more than hurt.

Tall heastsinks are nowhere near as efficient. You really need to run them 600mm length ways (not 600mm in height) to get the cooling you require, unless you decide to resort to adding a fan

I was not aware of this. The fins on the KS216 are 83-15=68mm tall and it will be in free air. A fan can be added, and I may have approval from the wife because an external fan does not need to be an ugly PC fan ;-).

Attachments

• Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 633
Joined 2009
Paid Member
isn´t there a fault around the optocoupler in the slide about the Mosfet XFN circuit?

The anode and the collector of the optocoupler are connected, I suppose they should not.

The slide with the Yamaha part is o.k.

left wrong, right right….. :)

Attachments

• wrong.jpg
    wrong.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 557
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 554
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.