DAC Project D1 Circuit available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I/V D1 following

I'm wondering why I ask myself the exactly same question.

I intend to do the same,and I think it IS irf610.

But matched...to which current? Like 10mA I think.Wouldn't it be better to use the full Art Pass Analog Circuitry and leave the - input from I/V of the DAC..........?

................ZZZZZZZZ.........?

That would be nice for us DIYers you to describe a typical Nelson Pass day at Pass Laboratories...I have always wondered if he has a precise schedule for the day or if he really acts as he wants!

PS: I surf on the web to find a photo of Nelson,but it seems hard to find. Any DIYer would have one???...could he mail it to me directly and discretely ( I don't want to offend anyone on this forum or trouble the tranquility of people's life.....)

.......But......I would have a face on this name and fellow! As the One and Only is so .....anonyme.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, this is what my computer sees this morning.

Attachments

• pict0004.jpg
    pict0004.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,885
Nelson

Wow - a rare live appearance !!! Thanks for the personalisation.

Taking advantage of this, a quick question regarding the unsupported D1 Schematic:

Wish to build the I/V stage, since I am building an unbalanced DAC using same PCM63 DAC - great idea the balanced approach - but more $$$ :(

1. For unbalanced, am I correct to use one half the I/V circuit with the other end of the attenuator connected to ground to ground (and resistor values half that shown)? I intend to use the attenuator as my primary volume control - output feeding into a headphone driver stage.

2. What balancing is required for the IRF610 MOSFETs (have noted general instructioins on PASSDIY.COM).

3. What resistor make/types do you use - obviously resistor quality is most critical in this stage.

Many thanks
Nic

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I had a roommate freshmen year here at Georgia Tech (in 98), and he would spend a couple of hours a day killing scientists in Half-life... loading the first level, enabling all the weapons, killing all the scientists and reloading the level. I really never understood how he could do this for hours upon end, laughing every single time they made their scientists noises. It disturbed quite a few people on the hall, since he had large speakers and liked to turn it up.

"Gordon.. good to see you" GUN NOISES "Stop attacking he's a friend..." EXPLOSION, and lots of strange noises.

There is actually a club for people who like doing this:

Scientist Killing Club

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

I don't share your opinion.All I can see here is a wonderful character,a man in a splendid mood!!!!

I'm a fan,so I intend to say what every believer wishes to say all life long:

" Today I saw the face of God the almighty "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................

..........Jokin'f'cours'

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I don't think this would be too bad of a project, assuming you can get the components. I know that is not meant for a project, but the plans are detailed enough to layout pcbs from. I have friends who have layed out more complex pcb layouts then this for their senior design projects. If others complete the D1 and it works good, I will consider doing it myself. Otherwise, I think I will make the David Broadhurst DAC.

Anyway, I will be gone for the summer, in France, studying abroad at Georgia Tech Lorraine in Metz. But when I get back, I will be co-oping again at the same job as this semester, so I will have project time, and the funds to cover it. I would like to organize some sort of group project again with pcbs, maybe a pre-amp or something. I really enjoyed going through the entire layout process. I would like to make an Aleph P some time. I just built a BOSOZ, so I really don't need one, but it would be a fun project. I am also going to get into speaker building, and try to build a couple of sets in my friends wood shop.

Just some possible plans.

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.