Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2002, 03:24 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

On the power output of XA relative to Aleph, understood and agreed that the thermal constraints are the same. So with that in mind - two things:

First, the XA-600 is going to have to be large, that was my only point. It's either large, or it has fans. My Aleph is hotter I think than what Nelson can allow his commercial offerings to be. He has to answer to customers; I dont.

Second, I'm thinking that one day I may replace the Aleph 2 that's in that chassis with an "XA-100". All I'd have to do is new boards and perhaps drill and tap again into the heatsinks. Oh ya I can hear it now !!!!!
Old 26th March 2002, 04:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

WayneS,

If the XA is a bridge design like the other X series amps (and whether or not it's a bridged pair of Aleph channels), you'd also need about half the power supply voltage at double the current to complete the conversion. The effort still might be worthwhile, and certainly manageable for someone who's already built his own Aleph 2s.
Old 26th March 2002, 09:26 PM   #13
The one and only

That day will come when Grey publishes his version
of the circuit.

How's it going, Grey?
Old 27th March 2002, 02:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Nelson,

In another thread I commented on the look of the new XA-200. It's a beautiful piece of work. That front faceplate obviously took some vision to figure out and looks to be quite complex to machine. Maybe some day I'll get that creative.... for now, a bunch of flat panels bolted to some heatsinks is gonna have to do.

For now I'm enjoying my Aleph 2s enormously. Changing to an XA would mean taking them out of service for a while. Maybe I'll just go all-out and do an XA-200 or so one day. I still have a huge smile on my face whenever I fire them up....
Old 27th March 2002, 06:28 PM   #15
The one and only

The credit for the metal goes to Desmond Harrington.
You've seen his work before; we stole him from Krell
some years ago.
Old 27th March 2002, 08:23 PM   #16
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes that's a great picture of the XA-200 amp and the amp looks even better in real life. I got to see it on display at this year CES. Also the active crossover too. Simple but elegant.

Hide this!Advertise here!