Zen-Light Amp questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I have decided that I would like to start off by trying to make the Zen-Light amplifier. It looks like a really cool amplifier, and something that is pretty easy to build. I have looked up the PDF file online, but I still have some questions about the amplifier and how to build it.

What Schematic draws should I use that are provided on the pass labs website?

Figure 16, is for the main board correct?

Are the other schematic drawings that I need to make this amplifier, if so what? Would it be possible to send them?

What kind of power supply do i need and where do i get one?

Does anyone have a materials list of the project?

How much power do you get per channel?

For the people that have built them, have you been satisfied?

How much time would you expect it would take to build one?

How much money do you think i will spend electronic parts?

I will have more, and will continue to post.
Thank you,
Mitchell

email "microwalsh8504@yahoo.com"

Hi,

Figure 16, is for the main board correct?

The simpel Zen lite is figure 5)
http://www.passdiy.com/images/projects/z1-fig5.gif

figures 15 and 16 are variations for balanced operation.

Does anyone have a materials list of the project?

The part list you can read from #5; without power supply this would be an inductort (you don´t need it, could also leave it away)

A lamp of ca. 110V 300W or 220V 1000W or some in parallel, 2 big capacitors 10000 uF or more, if you wnat some smaller film caps (1 to 10uF to parallel to the big ones) 5 resistors and eventually a pot, and a Fet like IRF(P) 150, 040, 044 , 140, 240,

How much power do you get per channel?

This depends on the power you burn in the lamp / Fet. The more voltage and current you burn, the more power you get. between and W maybe. Does this matter?

For the people that have built them, have you been satisfied?

absolutely Yes, and you will find some positive comments on this amp in the board

How much time would you expect it would take to build one?

For funktion only: half an hour. For a pretty chassis etc 20 times more?

How much money do you think i will spend electronic parts?

In electronic parts 10 Euro, + more for heatsink, chassis, connectors, power supply. For used heastsinks and chassis without expensive parts you may start at 50 Euro, for new heatsink, big transformers, very expensive connectors... you may go up to some hundred.

What kind of power supply do i need and where do i get one?

You build it. Its evetually more money for power supply than for the amp.

http://www.passdiy.com/images/projects/z1-fig22.gif

It needs to be between ca. 30 and 60 Volts and a lot of current. 4 or more A / channel at least. So you need a transformer 500-1000W, some Diodes or recifiers, small parts, and one or two big capacitor more. The figure 22 shows one channel on each winding. You could also build with only one winding for both channels in case your transformer has only one secondary winding.

Attachments

• image0073.jpg
    image0073.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,286
My advice would be to start with one of the better doccumented
projects. ie: the ZEN amp or the ZEN V4. Each article has a parts
list and detailed building tips. Zen V4 allows you to obtain the
PCB and Q-Pack from PassLabs. Everything else but the transformers
can be obtained from Digikey. Transformers from Avell, Plitron,
Victoria Magnetics, just to name a few.

Do a lot of post reading too... it helps :)

The Zen Light is a cool looking project, but for your first project
you want something that you have a real good chance of finishing (works and sounds good too!).

www.digikey.com and mcmaster.com were mentioned in the article. www.mouser.com, www.newark.com, www.arrow.com all have parts as well.

heat sinks are often cheaper elsewhere - check www.apexjr. com, drop steve a line and see if he has anything big that is not on the website. He also has some suitable electrolytic caps, and maybe a transformer.

You can also get the transformer from www.partsexpress.com (Avel also sells direct) or others.

good luck

I am a beginner.

Hey, we were ALL beginners at one time. It is great that you want to learn.

1) Go to the passdiy site and re-read all the articles on the Zen. Download them and print them out. Make notes on them.

2) A project using a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) has a better chance of working for a first time project (Zen 4 ??).

3) For your first project have you considered a GainClone? I ask this as it is cheaper to fix if you miss wire anything.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for the responses.:D

Thank you for the web sites that you all have provided. I am starting to find things that I was looking for. I am starting to find materials and parts that I was having a hard time locating before. If any of you come across more please let me know.

As for the Zen V4, why do you think this project would be a better amp to build than the zen-light?

thanks,
Mitchell

No feedback?

Hi!
Is it possible to modify the Zen Light circuit into zero negativ feedback circuit? It would be together with the BOZ a great "wonder weapon" against the SET followers guys! :))
Pure-real SE, Class A, No feedback.....I know there is the SOZ, but that is a bit "differential" :))
How much power need for a 8W amp with one 300W/110V bulb/channel?
Thanks!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: No feedback?

Tyimo said:
Is it possible to modify the Zen Light circuit into zero negativ feedback circuit?

Try a Son of Zen using light bulbs instead of the 8 ohm
power resistors. You can vary the number of bulbs in parallel
to get different values. The 300 watt (120V) bulbs operated
with 4 or so in parallel should get you there, and you can fool
around with it a bit to trim it.

oke but now the follow:

i have a lightbulb thats rated 300W 230V (the netherlands).

the risistance of the bulb is r=u^2/p (230*230)/300=176.333ohms
oke now we want 1,5 Amps of nice bias u=i*r 1,5*176.333=264,5 Volt across the bulb ???? and we only have a,say, 60Volt power supply.
oke i am missing something ????? but what !!!!!!:bawling:

gr Jaac

btw here are the heatsinks that are ,i think, perfect for the job

till said:
you miss you will need some of those bulbs in parallel or much more voltage. In 2nd case you want a more voltage type FET.

Go for bulbs around 1kW at 230V or 300W at 110V and you come closer to whats described in the article.

hhhmmm 1kwatts thats f*&%$ng much!!!
i have done some thinking (yah i can do that!!) and a heating wire of a radio tube draw also some amps will tht work ???

about the FET the irfp044 its rated 60 volts taht's enough ....or not ???

gr Jaac >> looking for some 300W 110V light bulbs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.