Which first watt amp is right for my 95dB speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No love for the F5? I'm wondering why it might not be suitable.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis, I have liked the F-5 for several years now. That said, not that it is harsh, but very wideband and revealing. Seems to many, including myself to really shine with speakers that are slightly softer on top, a warmer disposition.

For anything more bright (again not meant in a derogatory bright) something softer amp wise may blend better, like the F-6, Aleph J or BA-3. Just generalities and personal preferences. Again, not at all that BA-3 and the F-6 or AlephJ are soft on top, I think its more of a balance thing.

If your speakers are excessively over bright, none of them will be at their best, all are transparent....but the F-5 may be less forgiving. Plenty of F-5 love. Has been the one of the most built amps for years now.:)

That said, upon completion of my BA-3, I sold of all the other F-5 related projects I intended to build and have collected everything but the out of stock chassis for AlephJ and F-6, and am building a box full of parts for a pair of Balanced BA-3 mono blocks....:) When those are done, will finally begin on Pumpkin-Shunty as a pre for them.

I am sure that upon completion, F-7 will appear on the DIY scene. At least I am not kidding myself. I'm getting the itch to build speakers again....

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.