Pass Aleph J or F5 Turbo kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you live in Melbourne, Australia I'd be happy to help you with the process of building anything you were interested in.
Otherwise buy some nice high efficient speakers and build the Amp Camp Amp kit.
Once you've built that you will have acquired the confidence to build the other amps or you might decide the ACA is perfect for your needs.

You can get your matched jfets from spencer at fetaudio or the linear systems jfets from the diyaudio store. Everything else is available from mouser or digikey or wherever. Just use the downloadable bom from this site in the store pcb section.

i heard Spencer is all out of the Jfet's.
but maybe h_a have some left. he can also provide matched output's too.

The store has them in stock now...I'd buy them now if you are going to. They typically only last a couple days.

Matched JFET pairs (Grade B) - Parts

Both the Aleph and particularly the F5 have a lot of documentation, build guides and people willing to help you here on diyaudio. You are not going to get that with other amps (well, the gainclones are pretty well supported but there are so many variations). Also, you can buy pcbs blessed by Nelson Pass himself right from this site. There are build guides here and a of people willing to help.

The audiosector gainclone is well regarded/documented. But if you buy some ebay pcb or chinese knock off kit then you are pretty much on your own. Also, any of the IC amps (Class D, tripath, gainclones) are not really going to make you "learn" as much becasue the chip is kind of an integrated solution...If you want to learn how amps work a F5 or other discrete amp would be better.

It's a gamble but the store has LSJ74 in C grade and if I am not mistaken they can be used in an Aleph J. Maybe someone that has used them can join in. I bought a set of 8 and have 2 pair that are close enough to be called matched.

Yes I built an Aleph J using the "C" grade fets from the store. Out of 8 I was able to get get 2 fairly closely matched pairs, each pair within .2 mA.
One pair was around 16mA and the other around 12mA.
With 1k resistor (didn't install the optional pot) for the current source everything works great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.