NP talk at the California Audio Show 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just so we are all on the same dumb page, here is a very basic concept (many details not included)
Would this idea work with some additions to the circuit. Is this essentially a dumb version of the aleph?
Hope this isn't hijacking, just want to remove all doubt that I am far dumber than Zen Mod.

Attachments

• dumbness at its best.jpg
    dumbness at its best.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 309
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Nelson
Why does F3 barely get a mention while SIT1 and SIT2 get all the limelight?
Is F3 too clean sounding (too neutral) or is it the output impedance, cascode, output caps, low power output?
For the record I like F3 but haven't heard SIT1 or SIT2.
It seems F3 barely gets a mention in comparative reviews against the other firstwatt amps.

IMHO the F3 sounds pretty great, somewhere between the more conventional "Aleph" sound and the SIT stuff. It did enjoy its moment in the sun as I recall :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The real secret is Nelson has built a time machine and stolen all my dumb ideas.

Arguably the Stasis amplifier fits that description, although it was push-pull.

This page of the patent shows the concept as rendered with op amps (the
real production circuit ended up very different).

:cool:

Attachments

• 4107619 03.gif
    4107619 03.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 278
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
..... just want to remove all doubt that I am far dumber than Zen Mod.

no way Bubba;

it's well known who's entitled as Biggest and Dumbest in Dodoland

Arguably.....

same as is well known that Papa often isn't even aware of own smartness ;

though , Aleph OS is exactly what's mentioned ....... not prior ubercomplicatedzillionstages SissyStasis

:devilr:

Just one more idea about your talk (it came to me while on the toilet (it seems to happen like that)).
I have seen IMD products formed with the fundamental (eg 1000Hz) and rectified DC ripple of 120Hz/100Hz.
I personally feel this may be even more offensive than pure harmonics of the fundamental, at least more offensive to the ear than 2nd and 3rd harmonic. Actually offensive may not be the right word. I think it would be more like smearing and loss of articulate detail.

Eg I'd rather hear 3 people singing, one, the root note, another an octave and another a 5th an octave higher, than 3 people trying to sing the same note but failing miserablly.

Last edited:
Sorry Nelson, this is all probably boring stuff for you. I'm just throwing out ideas and thoughts.
Just one more thing.
I have observed that the music our ears are most sensitive to can occur well below 1Watt, I'm talking 100mW (0.1W or even less) at least the way I listen to music with my speakers.
Not ready to make conclusions about that but definitely another reason why a good Class A amp sounds much nicer than most AB amps.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Depends on the speaker of course.

I use 95 dB Tannoys 15" HPD's in inverted Jensen Imperials, and I do fine
within the 1 watt envelope (2 watts peak on a sine wave) and the rms
voltage is routinely 15 dB down from that.

This is base standard we use here. Of course we also keep some other
low impedance speakers in the 85-88 dB range for testing - we may be
crazy but we're not stupid...

I use 95 dB Tannoys 15" HPD's in inverted Jensen Imperials, and I do fine
within the 1 watt envelope (2 watts peak on a sine wave).

I am playing through a range of different Audio Nirvana drivers.
In the scheme of a single driver taking care of business, the 15" Audio Nirvana is the best I've heard so far (especially when price is factored into the equation)
I'm currently putting together something less simple but interested to see if it can beat Audio Nirvana.
I'm sure the Tannoys kick butt. I haven't heard them, but probably way outside of what I can afford so it's probably better to be happy in ignorant paradise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.