Upgrade F5 to F6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mV = millivolt
uV = microvolt.

Normal metric standards shall apply.

FR

Thanks. I was just a bit puzzled. When I was setting up my F5 I found that 1.5 mV hum were already audible on low efficiency speakers and had to reduce to 100 uV to remove it. So I was surprised by your figures. My measure however was done with a multimeter so maybe not a measure of noise like you do.

A quick update for ZenMod
Air circulation modification to F6
I posted earlier how I drilled the holes on the base plate

The perforated plates are now installed to the underside and this photo shows what it looks like

FR

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 402
I guess you could drop the ground wire from the PCB to the speaker post

I would if this wiring version was creating problems
But since the F6 is now silent I will let sleeping dogs lie

Had a long long listening session today after the air circulation mod and the F6 is sublime in my system
If I get time this weekend I will do a review on the streaming part of the system

FR

Earth points are as follows

Upon testing on the Rigol - there was ~70mv wideband noise when wired as per original design.

Changing the earth wiring to this scheme in the photos has reduced it to ~20mv Wideband.

FR

What is the noise floor of the actual instrument used to do the measurements?
I would think you might have a better result than this but the instrument is the weak link in the chain.
Papa frequenty gets below 300uV in his amps, so I would think you should certainly be able to get below 500uV.

Not a criticism, just wondering whether there could be a problem with the measurement technique.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.