high speed diode to-220 package for Aleph-x

I recently bought 4 of peranders rectifier pcb's for my upcoming Aleph-x:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

however the pcb only accepts to-220 package diodes. Most schottky's or the like which allow for the current used in the Aleph-x are in to-247 style package.

Anyone have a tip on high speed soft recovery diodes in to-220 package which allow for + 20A ?

Ralph

30A is indeed more then enough but as the master always says:
"it is never enough"

Since initial powerup give large current peeks to charge all caps I like to be on the safe side of things

With PSU designerII I get with 15V toroid a regular bridge, 220mF stubby (11.7mOhm) and a 8Ohm load a peak of 250A :bigeyes:, hence my question

Rectifiers

Anyone compared the sound of Schottky rectifiers to the MUR series? I have the Philips TO220 Schottky PBYR10100 rated at 100V 10A in mind. With adequate heatsinking, I think the voltage and current are good enough for the Aleph-X at +/- 22V and this item is fairly cheap.

ckt:confused: :confused:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Rectifiers

diyman said:
Anyone compared the sound of Schottky rectifiers to the MUR series? I have the Philips TO220 Schottky PBYR10100 rated at 100V 10A in mind. With adequate heatsinking, I think the voltage and current are good enough for the Aleph-X at +/- 22V and this item is fairly cheap.

ckt:confused: :confused:
Here is an extensive discussion on PSU diodes.

rwagter said:
I know about de inrush limiters , I also use them in my Aleph5, but how can I calculate what the maximum inrush will be then, is it limited by the NTC's specs (5A in this case ?) or will it just notch the current ?
The CL 60 has a cold resistance of ~10ohms. It suggested that these be used in each of the 120VAC primaries that would make up your 240VAC or if you don't have this type of transformer, use 2 - CL 60's in series to effectively give you ~20ohms at power up. This will limit the primaries to 240/20 = 12A. Or as Peter suggests, use the CL 70 with a cold resistance of 15ohms.

Hello,

Fairchild's new 'Stealth' diodes are available in to-220 package 30 amp rating. I have used these and they are quite good.

I have also tried On-Semi's new soft recovery diodes and they were no good for my needs, I yanked them and replaced with the Fairchilds.

Thanks

KevinLee:)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We are currently using the ST Micro BYW99W-200, which is
a dual "high efficiency, fast recovery" 35 amp diode at 200
volts, and have been very happy with it.

It's remarkable for us to have converted to exotic rectifiers,
as we previously were very sceptical, but we did find a distinct
sonic improvement, and they also made it easier to meet
RF noise emission standards. :cool:

Mad_K said:
I mean Vf, the forward voltage drop of for example ISL9R3060P2 under 8A current draw is something like 1-1,5V. Assuming chassi-temp of 50'C this translates to 1,25V*8A=10W*13'C/W=130'C+50'C=180'C heatsinktemp. And they're 175'C devices:eek:

Quite, but does the diode not conduct only half the time meaning half this dissipation?