ultimate bosoz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
Need advice. Been away from diy for a long time . Only now
have I the time to to restart diy all over again. My last
project was the Boz. Now I wish to build the Bosoz but
was wondering if there's better mosfet out there or an
updated version with better performance.

Thanks in advance

Can anyone please point me to the relevant thread/s for BOSOZ build with x-ccs? Ive searched so many threads that only discuss it but dont have any detail?? Id tear my hair out if I had any...

Im really keen on the BOSOZ line amp after reading Nelsons article on it and now having seen ccs mods that I thought would be great to experiment with...

TIA guys

Old School
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Jaffrie:

For an ultimate x-ccs BOSOZ, see Zen Mod's Pumpkin, of which there are several threads, including a comprehensive build thread:
<http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/119070-pumpkin-preamp-more-boring-making-thread.html>

I built Juma's BOSOZ with CSS, in post 196 of the thread, “Improving on the X-BosoZ to mate the F-4:”
<http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/101152-improving-x-bosoz-mate-f4.html>

Juma’s x-ccs-BOSOZ is simpler than the Pumpkin, but works very well. In the swchematic for just a stand-alone preamp, ignore everything to the right of the 10uF capacitors and you can use just one 10uF coupling capacitor. I used the IRF510 specified and like it very much. It is very euphonic and mellow. In it, Juma employs an extremely cleaver implementation of a TL431 to provide the negative DC bias current, which appeasr to be bsed on the precision constant-current sink in Figure 39 of the TI datasheet.

For comparison, I also built the BA-3 as a stand-alone preamp using 2sk2013/2sj313. Overall, I prefer the BA-3 to the x-ccs BOSOZ, but both are good. The BA-3 is more precise and less euphonic. As such, IMHO it mates very well with the F-4.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with either.

Jaffrie

thankyou for the prompt reply and the detailed notes, great stuff.. Its very much appreciated :)

Ive got plenty of IRF510/610s so its what im going to start with but I can see myself building a BA-3 later just for the fun of it. Ultimately to mate with F5T.V2

Ive become quite a fan of Mr.Pass design philosophy, and especially his generosity to the DIY community. As an engineer I always took the approach to solving a problem of 1st defining what is the CORE issue at hand and not to get distracted by others and their "noise" which more often than not is wrong or misdirected. Then look for the minimalist solution. Start from there.. His work is just elegant in its simplicity and performance..

Mathematicians go on about solutions being beautiful because of their simplicity like E=mc2 and MrPass is definitely tapping into that psychology..

thanks again. I got some reading to do now.. :)

Last edited:
Old School
Joined 2008
Paid Member
ClassC:

Thanks for your response. My apology for confusing to whom I was responding.

I second your sentiments regarding Mr. Pass, We all owe him an inestimable debt. I hope we can repay it it by learning from what he provides, pursuing our hobby,and benefiting from others who do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.