Zen v4 C2 value question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Zen v4 C2 value question

Hi!

I'm right in the middle of modificating my Zen v4 - replacing MKS capacitord with MKP ones and so ..

But I have a problem - the PCB was designed fpr MKS ones - so now MKP are quite too big to get in - specially the C2 (10uF - the one that is on the input) - I thought that it will be OK to use 3,3uF (that just fits in perfectly) or even 1,0uF (I have them quite a lot on stock) but I've found mr. Nelson's warning in DiY plans that it should be min 10uF because of low frequencies rolloff ...

Hmm - any ideas - can I use smaller values or not??

Thanks!
Old 8th February 2004, 05:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you have room to parallel a couple of the smaller ones?
Old 8th February 2004, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nope

I've decided to put in 3,3uF and see what shall happend ...
Old 8th February 2004, 08:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh and another question about caps - on the output there's again 10uF bypass cap - why such a big value?? Wouldn't be enough to use 1,0uF one??
Old 8th February 2004, 09:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

In the Zen-Lite article, Mr. Pass uses a 3 uF, so why not try the 1uF you have and see(?) how it sounds.
Old 8th February 2004, 09:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hehe - still alive

So - I've done few mods:
- all 220uF elkos by Jamicon were changed by Elna RJH (I guess/hope RJH is a little bit better series than ordinary Jamicon - nevertheless the cost was low so why not try it out)
- the 10uF MKSs at the output were replaced by 1,0uF MKPs
- the 10uF MKSs in the input were replaced by 3,3uF MKPs
- the 0,47 MKSs were replaced with 0,47MKPs
- standard interconection cable that connects RCAs with boards was replaced with pure silver ones (some leftovers I've got from making my own silver interconnects and speaker cables)

Well here in Slovenia is around midnight right now - so I couldn't done some serious test - except the few first minutes - but the first impression says to me the sound became a little more detailed and a little improvement in soundstage is here - so not bad concerning the costs I had with new parts;

But for some serious impressions I'll have to wait till tomorrow ...
Old 8th February 2004, 10:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh BTW - since Zen v4 was bulid in the first place I've done quite some mods - so one of last (but I guess very important thing) that stayed same is the output capacitor (10.000uF/50V) - that's still ordinary Jamicon;
So any sugesstions which one to use as an improvment?? Yeah, I know - BG are very good - but also VERY expensive ones
So - what to use to still get quite good results??

Btw - again - I have in memory that older Zen's had less capacitance in the output - how come that in this version 10.000uF is used??

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd March 2004, 02:23 PM   #8
pro is offline pro  Italy
diyAudio Member

For the 10000 uF try Panasonic TSUP (85C) or THSA (105C)
that are the same that Nelson Pass uses (TSUP). They have a very good sound and are not expensive (6-8 Euro each)
Old 2nd March 2004, 10:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Pro - I was allready considering to buy Panasonic's ... In my opinion Panasonic caps are very good buy for their money.
Old 3rd March 2004, 03:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stabist
Thanks Pro - I was allready considering to buy Panasonic's ... In my opinion Panasonic caps are very good buy for their money.

Another option is the 10,000 ufd 63 volt Jensen 4 pole cap. The input and output can be tiedtogether to make a normal 2 pole.
These run about twice the cost of the Panasonics. They are in the same league as BG.

George

Hide this!Advertise here!