Zen v4 C2 value question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm right in the middle of modificating my Zen v4 - replacing MKS capacitord with MKP ones and so ..

But I have a problem - the PCB was designed fpr MKS ones - so now MKP are quite too big to get in - specially the C2 (10uF - the one that is on the input) - I thought that it will be OK to use 3,3uF (that just fits in perfectly) or even 1,0uF (I have them quite a lot on stock) but I've found mr. Nelson's warning in DiY plans that it should be min 10uF because of low frequencies rolloff ... :(

Hmm - any ideas - can I use smaller values or not??

Thanks!

Hehe - still alive ;)

So - I've done few mods:
- all 220uF elkos by Jamicon were changed by Elna RJH (I guess/hope RJH is a little bit better series than ordinary Jamicon - nevertheless the cost was low so why not try it out)
- the 10uF MKSs at the output were replaced by 1,0uF MKPs
- the 10uF MKSs in the input were replaced by 3,3uF MKPs
- the 0,47 MKSs were replaced with 0,47MKPs
- standard interconection cable that connects RCAs with boards was replaced with pure silver ones (some leftovers I've got from making my own silver interconnects and speaker cables)

Well here in Slovenia is around midnight right now - so I couldn't done some serious test - except the few first minutes - but the first impression says to me the sound became a little more detailed and a little improvement in soundstage is here - so not bad concerning the costs I had with new parts;

But for some serious impressions I'll have to wait till tomorrow ...

Oh BTW - since Zen v4 was bulid in the first place I've done quite some mods - so one of last (but I guess very important thing) that stayed same is the output capacitor (10.000uF/50V) - that's still ordinary Jamicon;
So any sugesstions which one to use as an improvment?? Yeah, I know - BG are very good - but also VERY expensive ones :(
So - what to use to still get quite good results??

Btw - again - I have in memory that older Zen's had less capacitance in the output - how come that in this version 10.000uF is used??

Thanks in advance!

Stabist said:
Thanks Pro - I was allready considering to buy Panasonic's ... In my opinion Panasonic caps are very good buy for their money.

Another option is the 10,000 ufd 63 volt Jensen 4 pole cap. The input and output can be tiedtogether to make a normal 2 pole.
These run about twice the cost of the Panasonics. They are in the same league as BG.

George

Here's a question regarding the TSUP structure.

I recently bought some TSUP 10,000 uF 50v to replace the PSU smoothing caps of my Pioneer A400. The previous Elnas(black with gold writing) had some of the insulation plastic film cut off i.e. about 1 cm at the bottom and 5mm at the top of the cap, revealing the top surface and more, in complete. As a result of this, I did the same to my new TSUPs, believing it may have been done on the Elnas to aid cooling and perhaps improve performance. However, on second thought, the Panasonic TSUPs also had a thin black plastic piece under the insulation sheet, on top of the cap, which I removed and binned. What were they for ? To dampen vibration or provide RFI shielding perhaps ?

May be I should have left them on!

Slash said:
Guys! I'm going to use black gate electrolytic capacitors as C2 in Zen V4 but I don't know what is the minimum possible voltage of C2?

6.3 V black gates are cheaper :)

Take Kilowatski's advice here. The 6.3 volt NX are smaller and and better sounding.
But I would not try a cap with less than 35 volt rating here. The cap is theoretically sitting at 4 volts. With the ac riding it will go over 6.3 while playing.
On power up it could see 38 volts or so for a short period of time.
On mine I used a Silmic for a long time. Later put in the 10 uF 50V BG N series. The BG seemed to give the amp a little clearer sound.

George

It is better to use as C2 film capacitor instead of any kind of the electrolitic, even Rubycon Black Gate.

Thanks for reply! What I was actually thinking is using blackgate 50v 10uF capacitor bypassed with 0.22 uF MKP cap. I heard it can improve the sound. The reason why I didn't want to use MKP is their big size... But if 10uF MKP is really better, I will find the place where to set it :)

Also, can anyone tell me what are the most crucial capacitors to the sound in Zen V.4?
In my amp all electrolytic capacitors such as 220uF (C9, C5, C7, C11, C6) and 10,000uF (C1) in the output stage - all them are TEAPO; C12 (5 pF) and C3 (0.001 uF) are ordinary ceramics...

Slash said:

Thanks for reply!

È Âàì ïîæàëóéñòà :)

What I was actually thinking is using blackgate 50v 10uF capacitor bypassed with 0.22 uF MKP cap. I heard it can improve the sound. The reason why I didn't want to use MKP is their big size... But if 10uF MKP is really better, I will find the place where to set it :)

10uF MKP (or better film cap) - Its hardly to find, but even MKT (10uF MKT - is not a problem) - will be better then any El.Cap.

Also, can anyone tell me what are the most crucial capacitors to the sound in Zen V.4?
In my amp all electrolytic capacitors such as 220uF (C9, C5, C7, C11, C6) and 10,000uF (C1) in the output stage - all them are TEAPO; C12 (5 pF) and C3 (0.001 uF) are ordinary ceramics...

My advice - always use only NPO/GOG ceramic at any signal places!

IMHO - it is possible to use C7,C9 of any types, they are not influents to the sound (hope You will never use K50-16 from Armenia ?), but C5, C6, C11 - better to have them from the good types (not need BG, other types of Rubycon, Nichicon, Cornel-Dubbllier, Panasonic, etc. - really enough)

È Âàì ïîæàëóéñòà
:D :D :D

hope You will never use K50-16 from Armenia ?
Hmmm...Are these capacitors so really bad? :) I actually used K73-17 4.7 uF to bypass output capacitor. If it spoils the sound, I can also change it.

10uF MKP - Its hardly to find (or better film cap)

On the Moscow web site http://www.samodelka.ru/pricelist.php I found some MKP capacitors. I was thinking to order some of capacitors from there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.