F6 Illustrated Build Guide

That should be a lesson to all of us. Well me for sure...I’m guilty of stuffing JFET’s into a board without testing their Idss. Maybe your penance is desoldering yours and checking? Maybe for me someday as well.

Board is not even stuffed yet. Still making sure I understand the ramifications of +-27 volt rails (unloaded of course) before I solder anything.

Will the F6 board fit in the Dissipante 2U chassis?

I am thinking of building an F6 but was wondering if the board fits in the Dissipante 2U chassis? Not sure about the exact dimension of the board + transistors. I would probably run it at reduced bias to keep the heat down.

Thanks

For the typical* F6 build, a 3U, 400mm deep chassis would be the minimum. A 4U chassis will be better behaved, especially at higher bias currents. I'm using one in between these two, and it takes a long tine to reach a steady temperature with the relatively high bias that I'm using.

* standard PSU with 18V secondary voltage on the power transformer, about 22.5V on the rails, 1.5 Amps Iq

Last edited:
I am somewhat of a newbie and I am getting ready to start on an F6 build. I have been buying all the parts over time and I have everything except for the case.

I looked back over everything and noticed that I got an Antek AS-4220 transformer based on a recomendation somewhere in this thread. As I recall there weren't any 18 volt transformers available at the time I ordered it.

Will the 20 volt AS-4220 fry everything?

What adjustments will I have to make?
(Since I'm a newbie I need to be pretty clear about what to do)

I have the Diyaudio complete parts kit - so I have standard parts

Thanks

If you're worried about the higher rails and want something to do, you could add a cap multiplier to the rails and drop a couple of volts with the juma/First Watt type or a lower volt drop via a simple Darlington transistor, a K-multiplier, or the "Smooth as Butter" type - might improve the sound too!