F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Thanks Rayma , my F6 has positive current feedback , not sure the damping factor remains stock ?

I dont know how to measure it , with the mod !!

Easy. Connect audio generator to input, measure output voltage without load and under the standard load (8 or 4 Ohm resistor). The damping factor is: Df = output voltage under load / ( output voltage without load - output voltage under load)

Thank you for the formula .

I did some test with some non inductive resistors i have :

load : 4.7 ohms

in voltage : 2.56 v / out voltage under load : 8.16 v / out voltage without load : 11.24 v

DF : 2.65

load : 9.5 ohms

in voltage : 2.56 v / out voltage under load : 9.46 v / out voltage without load : 11.24 v

DF : 5.31

I also did some test with 1.00 v in voltage and the DF was 4.07 for load : 4.7 ohms / DF : 8.35 for load : 9.5 ohms

these are the numbers i got , damping factor of 16 is far from my numbers ?

and the gain is not 5 , specially at 1.00 v in , and the gain is lower under load ?

it may be normal :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the formula .

I did some test with some non inductive resistors i have :

load : 4.7 ohms

in voltage : 2.56 v / out voltage under load : 8.16 v / out voltage without load : 11.24 v

DF : 2.65

load : 9.5 ohms

in voltage : 2.56 v / out voltage under load : 9.46 v / out voltage without load : 11.24 v

DF : 5.31

I also did some test with 1.00 v in voltage and the DF was 4.07 for load : 4.7 ohms / DF : 8.35 for load : 9.5 ohms

these are the numbers i got , damping factor of 16 is far from my numbers ?

and the gain is not 5 , specially at 1.00 v in , and the gain is lower under load ?

it may be normal :)

Do not measure input voltage.
You measure only the output.
With or without the load.

not really ;)

From http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f7_man.pdf

Most of your “better” amplifiers have higher damping factors like 20 or 100, and this amplifier
[F7 before the positive feedback was added] was only about 5 or so........

Modest amounts of negative feedback are balanced in counterpoint to small amount of positive
current feedback, creating an equilibrium where the output impedance approaches zero,
improving transient and frequency response.....

[F7 after the positive feedback was added] Damping Factor >100

So, stock F6 has Df=16 @ 8 Ohm. Rsource=0.5 Ohm (8Ohm/16). You Rsource = 1.5Ohm (Rsens + 0.5 Ohm). At 4.7 Ohm load Df = 3.1 (4.7Ohm/1.5Ohm) .You got 2.65. Close value (especially if we add resistance of wires). At 9.5 Ohm calculated Df=6.3, also close to you results. Maybe you positive current feedback don't work, because in case of F7 it significantly increases Df (from 5 to >100) as mentioned above.

Last edited: