F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Dear audio friends,

It has been a half year from now that you guys helped me during the built of my First Watt F6, and due to several things in life I was not able to reply sooner than this.

I want to thank all of you who helped me during the build and faultfinding, without you guys I was lost. The result is an amazing amplifier, clarity, dynamic, and full grip on the bass! I never want to listen to music without the First Watt anymore!

For 2021 I am planning to build The Loudspeaker (Troels Gravesen's design), and for that I am planning to build two First Watt M2 monoblocks (Mountain View version).

For now, I am just enjoying the First Watt F6 together with the Discovery 3 way Classics, also designed by Troels. This is really a great speaker, very detailed, and the First Watt F6 is the best amplifier that was paired with it. It just does everything right! Even the sensitivity of the 3 way classics is only 88dB, it fills my small room (4x4 meters) with ease.

Again a big thank you to all of you who took the time to guide me, looking forward to a new project next year! :-D

Regards,

Koos

1.8A
But anything between 1.5A and 1.8A is good.

In some respects it will be speaker dependent. On my 2.5 way speakers there is a real noticeable improvement going with a higher bias setting. On my high efficiency full range drivers the difference is less prominent.

Last edited:
I measured voltage between gate-source pins.
When I turn clockwise,led lights turn bright and voltage reduce. Turn anti-clockwise make led dark and rise voltage until 4.2v maximum.
So then I need to add one more Led?

Attachments

• DSC_0240.jpg
    DSC_0240.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 208
4.2 V is not adequate so you will need to add another led.

I am a little concerned that the LEDs are changing in light intensity. This shouldn't happen. Edit: Maybe you're just experience the slow turn on of the amp, which is normal for the amp.
The current through the LEDs should remain constant.

Please check all solder connections just to be certain there is nothing obviously faulty.

Last edited: