ApexJr AlephX?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been eyeing those tunnel heatsinks ever since Steve put them on his site. Now I've finally done something with them. ;)

This is using four of those sinks per chassis. It will probably be a couple of months before these are running due to other distractions, but I thought I'd post some thermal and electrical measurements given the recent round of AlephX orders.

Attachments

• alephx1.jpg
    alephx1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 544
This is a pretty low-budget solution for an AX chassis and PSU. I am using the Signal BL 1752, 12-0-12 @ 7A and costing only $8! I followed this with a C-R-C-R-C supply, using those 68,000uF 50V caps and 25m resistors.

This supply delivers 13.3VDC at 3.3A with 13mV of ripple. The transformer is cold after running for 1 hour.

Attachments

• alpehx2.jpg
    alpehx2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 534
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
tiroth said:
I've been eyeing those tunnel heatsinks ever since Steve put them on his site. Now I've finally done something with them. ;)
I think we all look at heatsinks like a dog at a porterhouse.:tongue: It's unnatural I tell you.:D
tiroth said:
This is using four of those sinks per chassis. It will probably be a couple of months before these are running due to other distractions, but I thought I'd post some thermal and electrical measurements given the recent round of AlephX orders.
That looks as if it will turn out pretty nice. How much power? Ah, I see now. Scratch the power question.

Now the fun part: thermal data. Each side (2 of the tunnel sinks) is good for about 0.44K/W at a 35K rise from ambient.

All told, it is hardly frugilephile, but I think this has to be one of the cheapest ways to build a 30W AlephX. If you are willing to run it hot, and spend more than eight bucks on the transformer, you can probably squeeze ~100W of output out of this chassis/supply. I wanted it to be upgradable.

For anyone interested in copying the design, I used .25"x8" aluminum plate for the panels. The front and rear are outset because that plate was shear-cut and tolerance was off by nearly 0.5"! I recommend using 8" bar stock for this reason. Lowcostmetals.com is a decent source, just bear in mind my experience with their tolerances.

BTW, the title of this post is due to the heatsinks, caps, and transformers all coming from ApexJr. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.