Nutz, Panasonic is discontinuing my usual power supply caps...viable alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have used Panasonic snap in type caps of a few different types for Power Amp Power supplies. Nice size, ripple specs sufficient to not have hum issues with reasonable sized Capacitor banks. Now gone or getting gone quick.

What is a reasonable replacement, both in size and ripple spec? Iknow Nichicon is also popular, dont know if the are available in same size and around 22.000 Uf, but are they as good concerning their ripple spec? What about others? I am getting ready to stuff two store Power supply boards for Aleph J and F-6... What is being used as a Panasonic sized and performing cap?

Russellc

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You could consider the 380LX capacitors from Cornell Dubilier.

22,000 uF
50V
20 milliohms ESR
7.6 amps ripple current

Mouser p/n 5985-85-50V22000
DigiKey p/n 338-2254-ND
Element-14 p/n 12C7441

Are these the right size for your board? I don't know, I don't own that board.. Get out your calipers and measure the available space.
_

CDE capacitors are as good in terms of size and ripple current capabilities. In addition CDE offers 2 pin Snap variants as compared to 4 pin Panasonic for most of the high ripple current caps. BTW I am a big fan of Panasonic caps and have been making do with CDE caps due to this recent development.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You could consider the 380LX capacitors from Cornell Dubilier.

22,000 uF
50V
20 milliohms ESR
7.6 amps ripple current

Mouser p/n 5985-85-50V22000
DigiKey p/n 338-2254-ND
Element-14 p/n 12C7441

Are these the right size for your board? I don't know, I don't own that board.. Get out your calipers and measure the available space.
_

I havent ordered those boards yet, I assume (there is a pic on the store site) that like the other power supply boards I have on hand, they are made to accommodate several sizes of cases and lead spacing. I'm just glad to see a viable replacement. I cant believe Panasonic is closing these out!

Just checked, the lead spacing on the store board is fixed. Oh well, if they dont fit I have other boards, Peter Daniels, BrianGT Aleph Power supply boards and a few of Teabags. Appears boards are on 10mm spacing, As are the caps...all's good.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't used them yet, but I have purchased some of the 380LX 35V, 22000uF
caps:

380LX223M035K052 Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) | 338-2433-ND | DigiKey

At 30mm diameter, they are reasonably small.

The Nichicon KG seems to be very expensive once you reach higher
voltages. Up to 35V they are more reasonable. Here's 18000 uF, 35V
at Mouser:

LKG1V183MESBAK Nichicon | Mouser

Cheers,
Dennis

Saw those, but the ripple specs are only in the 4.0 range...I don't know what is "low" but the Panasonic and the cde are significantly higher spec'd. Again, the spec on these may be fine, I just know the Panasonics always let me have a dead silent amp.

Russellc

Being retired on a fixed income I am by necessity a cheap Diy'er. I bought these from Mouser because of the price on 2 of my FW builds. Dead quite on both amps with 103 db speakers. I do not use a board to build power supplies. It is not complicated to wire point to point with such an easy circuit. I used three .5 ohm resistors in parallel per channel and 66,000 uh per channel glued down with hot glue. 2 capacitors after the diode bridge then resistors and another capacitor after resistors.

598-SLPX223M035H4P3 Mouser $4.28

Joined 2002
Paid Member
33000 uF, 50V cap at Apexjr.

http://www.apexjr.com/images/Nippon50v33000uf.jpg

Radial Capacitors

These really are the deal of the century....$3.95 each. I've got six of them in my F5 right now.

Here's the spec sheet:

http://www.100y.com.tw/pdf_file/05-UNITED-CHEMI-CON-U32D.pdf

Yes, a real bargain, especially for those in the US where shipping is
inexpensive. Don't forget to order the cap clamps. :)

I bought some from Steve@Apexjr a few months. Great guy to deal
with.

Cheers,
Dennis

The Nichicon's don't have a sound, which is really nice. However they're not as good as some extremely expensive capacitors at attenuating sound. They work very well to provider power that's neutral; so much better than other cheap capacitors. But if you're feeding them with dumpy diodes, well, don't bother. Just use a dumpy CRC network with cheap caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.