Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
instead of VFets , solder 1K8 resistors

resistor between D and S of VFet

plain MF 600mW resistor will do

be sure that FB net is enclosed

power on, set both VFet bias voltages to max and same voltage (P1 and P2 , voltage say + and - 12V) at gates of VFets

now check all interesting nodes

power off ,desolder 1K8 resistors, mount VFets (check torque , check isolation to heatsink) , power on and set Iq and offset

Last edited:
instead of VFets , solder 1K8 resistors

resistor between D and S of VFet

plain MF 600mW resistor will do

be sure that FB net is enclosed

power on, set both VFet bias voltages to max and same voltage (P1 and P2 , voltage say + and - 12V) at gates of VFets

now check all interesting nodes

power off ,desolder 1K8 resistors, mount VFets (check torque , check isolation to heatsink) , power on and set Iq and offset

Thanks Zen Mod,

Sounds interesting. Bear with me, but if I'm understanding right it's a way to check that my circuit's ok without risking the Vfets, isn't it? I just have couple questions:

1. Right now I have P1 and P2 adjusted to the numbers written on the Vfets + 1V. When I remove the 1K8 resistors do I set P1 & P2 back to those voltages?

2. I know, silly question, but what's the "FB net"?

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
1.bias voltage higher than V+1 will just brake VFets even more (when you mount them in circuit) , minimizing any possible damage ; setting these two voltages to same value will result in , say, proper range of final output offset ....... remember that's just a test of entire circuit , but without risking precious ones
2. Feedback net

Hi Gyuri, Yeah seemed a little funky to me so I think I may have measured it wrong. All my resistor and voltage checks before applying power to the front end were ok. I always use a dim bulb to power on for the first time and that was fine too. Thanks.

I did not use the "dim bulb power on" with the VFET installed due to this statement in the documentation....

"If you have a Variac for this, you will want to use it, but keep in mind that it is only useful for providing a relatively low inrush current to the power supply capacitance – you cannot raise the AC line voltage too slowly or you risk having the VFETs draw too much current while the bias voltages are being established.
I suggest that you raise the AC line to voltage you have a Variac for this, you will want to use it, but keep in mind that it is only useful for providing a relatively low inrush current to the power supply capacitance – you cannot raise the AC line voltage too slowly or you risk having the VFETs draw too much current while the bias voltages are being established.
I suggest that you raise the AC line to voltage over a period of less than 5s"

I think the bulb will limit the AC line voltage - more technical members can comment on this :)

First time, when I powered up amp with VFETs, I used a variac and a lightbulb series with it. I worried about it: "you cannot raise the AC line voltage too slowly".
What can be too slow here?
So I watched voltage drop on R32. At low voltages, it raised quickly because VFETs are normally on. So it was better to turned it off.
Then, I've got a big breath, and switched it on with light bulb at about 180VAC.
Worked flawlessly.
Later I have found with the variac's involvement, that below somewhere half of the PSU voltages, current raises again, as VFETs gets closed.

Can you show us a photo? If we still can't make it out, then you would set the
bias voltages at 12 volts, which is about as high as they go, where there
will be little or no bias current and then adjust them down, watching the
current draw and the output DC offset, just like the normal procedure.

Better late than never! LOL

Here's a few pictures. We can clearly see at least one of them being 87 I believe, so the rest should be quite close...

2017-09-05 19.44.23.jpg

2017-09-05 19.44.35.jpg

2017-09-05 19.44.47.jpg

I was using Picasa for my pictures but Google cut it and their new picture manager does not support third party hosting. Then used PhotoBucket for a while but then they decided to become PIGS... So I don't know what service to use anymore to post pictures...

Thanks
Do

So I don't know what service to use anymore to post pictures...Thanks Do

@ Pinnocchio
Cool you get genuine Sony vfet's
You can try upload pictures directly from your computer.
See and click in 1~4 order. Make Attached Thumbnails
That the best method if you use other method your images is only for some days visible and disappear after.
Have a nice day :)

Attachments

• FD6DA267-C025-4AAA-A1B2-A548253A9ECC.JPG
    FD6DA267-C025-4AAA-A1B2-A548253A9ECC.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 577
  • B2E03609-B911-4F99-AD18-61512A03A0BB.JPG
    B2E03609-B911-4F99-AD18-61512A03A0BB.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 574
  • 3F7000E8-73F9-483C-A4AA-B3FE958E7E6D.JPG
    3F7000E8-73F9-483C-A4AA-B3FE958E7E6D.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 573
  • 6AA99952-E901-4D1B-8E03-34C8C119BF23.JPG
    6AA99952-E901-4D1B-8E03-34C8C119BF23.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 572
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi DO,

Nelson's original suggestion will work just fine. The exact initial voltages are not important
as long as they are high enough to keep the Vfets from drawing much current.

Given your pictures seem to show the labels to be 8X, you can pretend they
are 90, and set the initial voltages at +/10V.

Cheers,
Dennis