Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2017, 12:13 PM   #3311
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can someone tell me please what size allen key is needed for the s/s hex head screws supplied in the store kit? I have both metric and imperial ones but nothing that fits. tia
Old 9th November 2017, 01:28 PM   #3312
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeodave View Post
Now, my question is: Is it worthwhile replacing C5 and C6 in the VFET amp with non-polar, possibly film-foil capacitors?
Old 9th November 2017, 01:28 PM   #3313
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeodave View Post
I have a question regarding the capacitors C5 and C6. The consensus on these caps seems to be that they're DC-level shifting caps and are not to be viewed as coupling caps in a strict sense. They more or less correspond to C1 and C2 of the First Watt F4.

Searching the F4 thread, I've gathered the information that the absolute value is not really critical, and that anything above 100uF should do fine. Going lower supposedly results in turn on thumps of the amplifier, and still going lower will for a highpass form the audio signal.

Now, my question is: Is it worthwhile replacing C5 and C6 in the VFET amp with non-polar, possibly film-foil capacitors?

I haven't found any reports of anyone actually using film-foil capacitors in that particular spot in the F4 thread. We know from Nelson's previous comments that semiconductors are the elephant in the room, but since we've arrived at VFET push-pull output stages, I suppose we could at least give it a thought.

Correct that's why I used a Silmic II with a parallel MKP1837 100nF in that place.
Old 9th November 2017, 02:13 PM   #3314
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marra View Post
Can someone tell me please what size allen key is needed for the s/s hex head screws supplied in the store kit? I have both metric and imperial ones but nothing that fits. tia
Should be a 2.5mm.

/U.
Old 9th November 2017, 05:02 PM   #3315
Rodeodave is offline Rodeodave  Austria
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marra View Post
Weird, looks like they're 7/64" imperial, didn't even know I had an imperial bit set. Metric 2.5mm is definitely too small, 3mm is already too big.

While we're at it, does anyone have a Mouser part number for a nice TO3 mounting kit?
Old 9th November 2017, 05:48 PM   #3316
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

They should be imperial as the TO-3 metal can mounting spec is for imperial bolts so that’s what we used. In the future maybe it would be smart for us to check if there is a close equivalent in Metric, for our international crowd

The bolts that attach the brackets to the chassis are metric but have PHILIPS heads so there woulddlyt be a confusing mix pf recessedhead bolts.

Maybe we should just use Phillips on everything in the upcoming kits even though they don’t look as cool

Last edited by Variac; 9th November 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 9th November 2017, 06:44 PM   #3317
diyAudio Member

2.5mm is to small. I'm going to try and source a 7/64 key either that or just buy some metric s/s screws as 4mm will fit the vfets and 3mm the mosfets.

My build is slowly coming together with the p/s built and giving 30.5v unloaded and the heatsinks are drilled and tapped and the T bracket made. Case is from Modushop.
Old 9th November 2017, 07:22 PM   #3318
Rodeodave is offline Rodeodave  Austria
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

I found my 7/64 bit in my so called safety bit set. They seem to be fairly universal in content and can be had for a tenner usually.

I really like the mounting kit that was supplied with the VFET kit, too bad it's not being sold separately.
Old 9th November 2017, 07:28 PM   #3319
diyAudio Member

Yes likewise. I bought a set of imperial allen keys off the bay but unfortunately no 7/64 amongst them. They seem to be available separately though.
Old 12th November 2017, 03:21 PM   #3320
vanofmonks is offline vanofmonks  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BOM

Is there a BOM or parts list anywhere? I've searched and found a post that had one but seems to be removed.

Thanks
Chris

Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2Hide this!Advertise here!