Survey: Best Sounding HF/MF range Horn driver to use with First Watt amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2015, 08:32 PM   #1
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Survey: Best Sounding HF/MF range Horn driver to use with First Watt amps?

I built Gary Dahl’s 3 cu ft sealed GPA Altec 416-8B midwoofers. Gary uses them with his RAAL ribbon tweeters and Azurahorn/Radian drivers. He uses the Altecs from 700Hz to 70Hz, which really keeps distortion very low. Below 70Hz, his subs takeover. See them all stacked up in these photos Beyond the Ariel

However, I spend a lot of time at that thread and can’t recall anyone who uses any First Watt or Pass amp to drive the countless horn designs there. Most, if not all of them seem very happy with tube amps, many of which are very well designed, like Gary’s.

As its been months since I’ve been able to nail down what drivers to go for above the Altecs, I am eager to take suggestions from anyone here who may happen to be truly delighted with their First Watt amps driving a specific horn system. And when playing a very wide variety of music.

I have First Watt J2 and F4 amps and a pair of 12” sealed Rythmik servo subs.

Last edited by oltos; 29th June 2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 29th June 2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Papa's Koan M2 driving my secondary spks
Old 1st July 2015, 12:26 AM   #3
anilva is offline anilva  India
diyAudio Member

My Altec 288 with Azura horns based on Beyond Ariel design is driven by F5 and the mid/bass by F5 Turbo (Altec 515B based). Sounds terrific for me.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:39 AM   #4
wdecho is offline wdecho  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of modified Klipsch LaScala's I have used 3 Firstwatt clones with. An Aleph 30 which sounded very good with no harshness and a single ended 3 stage Burning amp that was nice and smooth that I would have been very satisfied with if I had not built an F6. Right now I am using the F6 but I did change the crossover to a 1st order because the F6 shows more detail and I quickly detected some problem with my old crossover network. I am using an Altec 511b as my midrange with the original K55M driver and a after market tweeter. In my opinion horn systems are made for Class A amplifiers whether SS or tube.

David
Old 1st July 2015, 08:13 PM   #5
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

I remember Papa saying that F3 amp was a popular choice with horn aficionados (mind you I have no personal experience with either, horns or F3).

Last edited by koja; 1st July 2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 1st July 2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Botte is offline Botte  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the csx1 driving a altec 515 and TAD 2001 combo and it sounds great.

Hide this!Advertise here!