Babysitter construction help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thought one of these would be handy for this summer, thinking of these fans:

Amazon.com: Noctua SSO Bearing Fan Retail Cooling NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM: Computers & Accessories

or something similar. Would like advice on some type of controller, that would let sink get to certain temp and switch on-off maintaining optimum temp. I see several talking about these ideas over in Turbo F-5 thread, but no specifics. Would love to see some ideas.

This would prevent fan running on and on keeping sink below optimum temp...

Thanks for any direction,

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Found a little surfing around your suggestion, found this:

Cooling fan temp controller | Make: DIY Projects, How-Tos, Electronics, Crafts and Ideas for Makers

http://www.heatsink.info/content.php?content=control.shtml (click on "temp control")

I think a couple of these, (for a two fan babysitter) mounted in babysitter, heatsensor wire going through 5U cases perforated floor pan and then in contact with heatsink ought to do it.

Your first idea would work as well, I understand you mean to have a little 317 regulated power supply and just adjust fan speed to appropriate place for a given ambient temperature? Plus, this style would be a little easier to move from amp to amp...

I wondered about something similar to thermistor sensing heat on the F-5's mosfet, except something on heat sink. The link above has a link that I am still combing through.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was CanAm man that built a F-5 with some kind of temp control that operated fans, I may need to check with him or whoever that was.

Thanks,

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Or build a real Pass fan controller, with Mosfet of course :D

Attachments

• 422055d1401867465-heatsink-f5t-fan.jpg
    422055d1401867465-heatsink-f5t-fan.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 531
Joined 2006
Paid Member
...You can use the mosfet with the microchip ...see link.

And you can set the max temp profile you want and let it regulate itself.....no programming needed only one R to specify.

better is difficult.

For me it makes a lot of sense....last few days have been close to 40ºC here in Lisboa and i dont want to have to tune the fan speed all the time....i use 2 , one for each heatsink
and let them maintain the max temp i specify in summer.

....although the very hot days they are not so quiet.....it's way to hot to run class A.

It's either that or use the air conditioning....or both....

:D

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
excuse the poor drawing...this works...controls the fan speed nicely and has good adjustment. I just wedged the thermistor into the heatsink fins. Same thermistor parts I used for bias control in my pass amps.

Very interesting, but I, being an electronics numbskull, will need a bit of instruction about what value range of resistors to use to set temps....:confused:

Sounds like a good idea, now if I can implement is only remaining question. I'll read the info thoroughly and see if I can fathom it...return with finishing questions.

Russellc

Yes, I am talking about using a fan inside the amplifier. I have one amplifier that has to have a fan because of inadequate heatsinking. Looking at a schematic of an Aleph 3 it appears to me that a 330 ohm 1 watt resistor is what is used to drop the voltage for the fan but I do not know the voltage is for the fan. From what I have found a single resistor or a couple of resistors used as a voltage divider or a regulator can be used. I thought I may profit from someone else's experience who has done this before about what they used and the values of the components used. A simple walmart may be the easiest without experimenting. Thanks for any input.

David

Russellc: If you only need a babysitter fan for the real hot days and just in case, why use fan speed control circuit? a simple temp switch mounted on the sink and connected in series with the fan will do the job. this will power on the fan at a given temp and cut the power to the fan when the temp is around 10c below the limit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.