Gyrator loaded Son of ZV9/F3

What I like might not be the same what you like.
Those parts are cheap, circuits are simple and all can be easily built in point-to-point manner so you can test them and decide for yourself what suits you the best...

BTW there is a 2sk170 on your PCB but the circuit uses BS170 - those are very different parts, check everything thoroughly ...

...I already have 2 pieces 2sk170...
If they are genuine Toshiba and have Idss in range 8-15mA you can use them nicely - in fact, you can add a pair of Lateral MOSFETs and you'll have a great power amp.

Single rail power supply, no input cap and the output cap is inside feedback loop (gain = 20dB, R13/R3 ratio). P1 sets the output stage bias (0.5 - 1A depending on your preferences/heatsinks) and P2 sets half of the power supply voltage at the + pin of C4. Both pots can be single turn, start setting them at middle positions (give capacitors few seconds to get charged before you start). To set the I_bias insert 0R1 resistor between plus pole of power supply and Drain of Q5. Watch the voltage drop across that resistor and set it with P1 to 50-100mV.
Z_in is determined by R2 (10k) so it will need the preamp with Z_out of less than 1k. Together with JFET's parasitic capacitance R2 builds an effective low pass filter that makes amp immune to RFI without compromising amp's freq./phase response. Amp's Z_out is very low (DF>100).
Output power depends on supply voltage (20W at 8R with 45V PSU and 10W at 8R with 30V PSU - with 4R load power gets doubled).
Amp sounds smooth, live and clean and it's simple enough to build point-to point.

Attachments

• gf3amp.jpg
    gf3amp.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 936
brilliant as always Juma, reminds me the fetzilla but simpler and with gyrator has to sound lovely.
will try it P2P
is there a way to increase the Zin a bit? and decrease gain? increase R2?
can I use BC547B instead? does hfe matters for cascoding?

OT. is your SuSy amp inv. OPA549 still the preferred AB class amp?
Is there a cheaper replacement for OPA549? BB ICs are really expensive....

Last edited:
There is an error in post #164. Gain is set by R13/R2 ratio, not R3 (it's there just to avoid Gate going positive re. to Source).

... is there a way to increase the Zin a bit? and decrease gain? increase R2?
You can try 22k for R2 - half the gain, double Z_in. Somewhat narrower passband.

can I use BC547B instead? does hfe matters for cascoding?
Yes. Not much

OT. is your SuSy amp inv. OPA549 still the preferred AB class amp?
No, but I still have it - sounds great with Rogers LS3/5A

Is there a cheaper replacement for OPA549? BB ICs are really expensive....
Not that I know.

If they are genuine Toshiba and have Idss in range 8-15mA you can use them nicely - in fact, you can add a pair of Lateral MOSFETs and you'll have a great power amp.

Single rail power supply, no input cap and the output cap is inside feedback loop (gain = 20dB, R13/R3 ratio). P1 sets the output stage bias (0.5 - 1A depending on your preferences/heatsinks) and P2 sets half of the power supply voltage at the + pin of C4. Both pots can be single turn, start setting them at middle positions (give capacitors few seconds to get charged before you start). To set the I_bias insert 0R1 resistor between plus pole of power supply and Drain of Q5. Watch the voltage drop across that resistor and set it with P1 to 50-100mV.
Z_in is determined by R2 (10k) so it will need the preamp with Z_out of less than 1k. Together with JFET's parasitic capacitance R2 builds an effective low pass filter that makes amp immune to RFI without compromising amp's freq./phase response. Amp's Z_out is very low (DF>100).
Output power depends on supply voltage (20W at 8R with 45V PSU and 10W at 8R with 30V PSU - with 4R load power gets doubled).
Amp sounds smooth, live and clean and it's simple enough to build point-to point.

Thats interesting.I have some irf540/9540 sitting..Can you alter the schematic to use them?

Looking at the datasheets I'd say yes, they could work if you find parts with not too high Idss (max. 20mA) so they could be used without raising degenerating resistor (R3) too much in order to set Id between 10 and 12 mA.
I would go for 2SK2394 at Mouser...