Threshold SL-10 MC Stage Settings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just getting around to using the MC section on my refurbished SL-10, but I don't understand how the loading works. The range of loading options seem much closer than other phono stages I have used and it seems to have more gain when the loading is lowered (1-15 vs 30-50). I'm setting up a Shelter 501 MKII that I just had retipped.

These are the specs for the Shelter:

• Output Voltage: 0.4 mV at 1kHz 5cm/sec.
• Channel Balance: Within 1dB at 1kHz
• Stylus Tip: 0.3 x 0.7mil Elliptical Nude Diamond
• Weight: 8.1g
• DC Resistance: 12 ohms
• Tracking Force Range: 1.4 to 2.0g
• Recommended Load Impedance: within 20 ohms with step-up transformer, within 100 ohms with head amplifier, within 47k ohms with high gain EQ amplifier
• Compliance: 9cu
• Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-2dB
• Anodized Aluminum Body with neodymium magnet

I realize that loading is a personal preference, but how do you figure a starting point from these specs? Is it supposed to match the internal resistance/DC offset? Most people seem to like the Shelter loaded at 100 ohms into MC stage even though the specs seem to recommend 47k.

I know that this phono section operates very differently than the ones i have seen. I've searched the web for answers, but I can't find much on this subject. Hopefully someone can break it down in simple terms for me. The SL-10 sounds Amazing and I'd like to make sure that I can get the most out it. Thanks for any help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.