What XLR cables are you useing??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2004, 05:33 PM   #1
yoke is online now yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default What XLR cables are you useing???

Hi...I have surch this forum and all web trying to find some interconnect cables to use with Aleph-X and X BLS ...
I read somewhere that it's better to use long interconnectors then long loudspeaker cables...So I think that I will be needing something like 2x1.5m...but the problem is that I don't know much about cables...haven't opportunity to listen different types of cables
The problem is that I even can’t find some XLR type interconnects on market…All I see is Kimber Kable , like silver streak or PBJ and “sumic audio” silver cotton hand made cables which are like 1000USD / m ( well they are from silver )…
Can some one, please, recommend what brand of cables to use or to point in some direction???
Whell, what cables are you useing ???

Any help will do, because I am stuck here…

Thanks
Regards
Josip
Old 4th February 2004, 09:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Josip,

at the moment I´m using Kimber PBJ for the balanced connection between X-BOSOZ and Aleph5. It beats my single ended Kimber select KS1030 and it´s not expensive.

william
Old 4th February 2004, 10:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

In my experience, once you go balanced, cable differences become very minor. I would just get some decent pro quality balanced mic cable. In fact, as you don't need the resistance to handling noise that you get from real mic cable, you could just go for decent quality single pair + screen audio installation cable, costing about £0.30 a metre.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 4th February 2004, 10:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default This is diyaudio -

Quote:
Originally posted by yoke

Try to DIY some cables. There are lots of pro grade connectors. Use three wires of what suits you. I like small guage solid core. Others like larger gauge stranded.
By making your own you can try different types of wire with the same XLR connectors. It costs as much or more to DIY some balanced cables compared to pro grade ready mades. Calbes are available for what four connectors cost.
I would have to agree that wire differences are reduced running balanced connections. One wire that is cheap is the long crystal Vampire magnet wire. It is about 10 cents a foot, and is about as good as any as far as quality.

George

Hi...I have surch this forum and all web trying to find some interconnect cables to use with Aleph-X and X BLS ...
I read somewhere that it's better to use long interconnectors then long loudspeaker cables...So I think that I will be needing something like 2x1.5m...but the problem is that I don't know much about cables...haven't opportunity to listen different types of cables
The problem is that I even can’t find some XLR type interconnects on market…All I see is Kimber Kable , like silver streak or PBJ and “sumic audio” silver cotton hand made cables which are like 1000USD / m ( well they are from silver )…
Can some one, please, recommend what brand of cables to use or to point in some direction???
Whell, what cables are you useing ???

Any help will do, because I am stuck here…

Thanks
Regards
Josip
Old 5th February 2004, 12:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you are interested in building your own cables:

I had a mail this morning from Jon Risch, he has a site
with all you need to know about interconnects and speaker cables DIY made

>>Alain,
>>For balanced cables, see:
>>http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/twe...ges/25544.html
>>and consider using Belden 89207 or 89272 ala this portion of my DIY IC >>note:
>>http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/i2.htm
>>Jon Risch

And I contacted TakeFiveAudio at takefiveaudio.com {canadian site}
they will store the Belden 89207 and it will be available on their site next week...

>>Do you have plans to store these cables ? preferably: Belden 89207 ?
>>Alain,I will get it on the site beginning of next week.
>>Regards,
>>Gene
>>I have a 130ft spool coming in late this week or early next, cost will
>>be $1.95 ft.

Only good news, I wanted to let you know...

Alain.
Old 5th February 2004, 01:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I originally made my first set of cables with some balanced mic cable. These worked fine, however, about two weeks ago I got a bug and borrowed a set of AudioQuest Coral from the local hifi shop. To keep it short, the difference was huge. Now I just have a ****ed off wife when she saw the checkbook.

Regards
Scott
Old 5th February 2004, 03:20 AM   #7
eLarson is offline eLarson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SGregory
I originally made my first set of cables with some balanced mic cable. These worked fine, however, about two weeks ago I got a bug and borrowed a set of AudioQuest Coral from the local hifi shop. To keep it short, the difference was huge. Now I just have a ****ed off wife when she saw the checkbook.

Regards
Scott

*groans* Why oh why did I look in this thread? :-\ I use a pair of mic cables from Guitar Center.

Erik
Old 5th February 2004, 03:54 AM   #8
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using star-quad solid-core 22 gauge wire inside of Belden #8668 ground strap. It is very nice but the capacitance is too high for long runs and I haven't yet found a nice way to wind around a core to solve this.

Also time consuming to make. Anyone used those Proco Ameriquad star-quad XLRs?
Old 5th February 2004, 06:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Use good cables: I use Audioquest Pythoon XLR cable, and the difference respect the "old" AQ Lapis was clearly noticeable.
Marcello
Old 5th February 2004, 07:08 AM   #10
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
the new ones just came out, the DBS line you should give those a try. i have my speaker cables coming in less than a week.

Quote:
Originally posted by tortello
Use good cables: I use Audioquest Pythoon XLR cable, and the difference respect the "old" AQ Lapis was clearly noticeable.
Marcello

Hide this!Advertise here!