What XLR cables are you useing???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi...I have surch this forum and all web trying to find some interconnect cables to use with Aleph-X and X BLS ...
I read somewhere that it's better to use long interconnectors then long loudspeaker cables...So I think that I will be needing something like 2x1.5m...but the problem is that I don't know much about cables...haven't opportunity to listen different types of cables
The problem is that I even can’t find some XLR type interconnects on market…All I see is Kimber Kable , like silver streak or PBJ and “sumic audio” silver cotton hand made cables which are like 1000USD / m ( well they are from silver )…
Can some one, please, recommend what brand of cables to use or to point in some direction???
Whell, what cables are you useing ???

Any help will do, because I am stuck here…

Thanks
Regards
Josip

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
In my experience, once you go balanced, cable differences become very minor. I would just get some decent pro quality balanced mic cable. In fact, as you don't need the resistance to handling noise that you get from real mic cable, you could just go for decent quality single pair + screen audio installation cable, costing about £0.30 a metre.

This is diyaudio -

yoke said:
Try to DIY some cables. There are lots of pro grade connectors. Use three wires of what suits you. I like small guage solid core. Others like larger gauge stranded.
By making your own you can try different types of wire with the same XLR connectors. It costs as much or more to DIY some balanced cables compared to pro grade ready mades. Calbes are available for what four connectors cost.
I would have to agree that wire differences are reduced running balanced connections. One wire that is cheap is the long crystal Vampire magnet wire. It is about 10 cents a foot, and is about as good as any as far as quality.

George

Hi...I have surch this forum and all web trying to find some interconnect cables to use with Aleph-X and X BLS ...
I read somewhere that it's better to use long interconnectors then long loudspeaker cables...So I think that I will be needing something like 2x1.5m...but the problem is that I don't know much about cables...haven't opportunity to listen different types of cables
The problem is that I even can’t find some XLR type interconnects on market…All I see is Kimber Kable , like silver streak or PBJ and “sumic audio” silver cotton hand made cables which are like 1000USD / m ( well they are from silver )…
Can some one, please, recommend what brand of cables to use or to point in some direction???
Whell, what cables are you useing ???

Any help will do, because I am stuck here…

Thanks
Regards
Josip

If you are interested in building your own cables:

I had a mail this morning from Jon Risch, he has a site
with all you need to know about interconnects and speaker cables DIY made

>>Alain,
>>For balanced cables, see:
>>http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/25544.html
>>and consider using Belden 89207 or 89272 ala this portion of my DIY IC >>note:
>>http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/i2.htm
>>Jon Risch

And I contacted TakeFiveAudio at takefiveaudio.com {canadian site}
they will store the Belden 89207 and it will be available on their site next week...

>>Do you have plans to store these cables ? preferably: Belden 89207 ?
>>Alain,I will get it on the site beginning of next week.
>>Regards,
>>Gene
>>I have a 130ft spool coming in late this week or early next, cost will
>>be $1.95 ft.

Only good news, I wanted to let you know... ;)

Alain.

I originally made my first set of cables with some balanced mic cable. These worked fine, however, about two weeks ago I got a bug and borrowed a set of AudioQuest Coral from the local hifi shop. To keep it short, the difference was huge. Now I just have a ****ed off wife when she saw the checkbook.

Regards
Scott

SGregory said:
I originally made my first set of cables with some balanced mic cable. These worked fine, however, about two weeks ago I got a bug and borrowed a set of AudioQuest Coral from the local hifi shop. To keep it short, the difference was huge. Now I just have a ****ed off wife when she saw the checkbook.

Regards
Scott

*groans* Why oh why did I look in this thread? :-\ I use a pair of mic cables from Guitar Center. :)

Erik

Hi...thank you oll for yours answers and suggestions...Looks like I will have to go around and hear some cables before stick to any of them...
For the beginning I will probably buy , use , kimber PBJ , because they are not to expensive, and they will be something as reference...then when I got some time I will try to make some cables on my own ( I will try Belden )...and at the and will try that expensive cables ( like Audioquest , Kimber ...well maybe even «sumic audio» )...

By the way ...I have talk with mr. Sumic ,( Mr. Sumic is specialized in cable technolog , his cables got great reviews in croatian audio magazines , I think that you will not find any thing about him on net...maybe you will , I haven't ) who suggest me that , I should look for 4 connection cable , +, -, 0, and the 4th one for chassis ground ...That using 4 wire will give you best results ... well that's what he is using...

So thanks once again...If you have any other suggestion ,please, let me know...

Thanks

Josip

Van den Hul D-102 Mk III Hybrid with your own choise of XLR(puresonic for instance). Sells for around 12 euro/meter off the reel.
Or:
Homebrew solidcore Silver wire with Teflon insulator.
see for instance: http://www.ae-europe.nl/toebehoren.htm (in Dutch, but I can translate if interested). Sells for 3,27 Euro/m 0,8 mm^2 (without insulating, but this will cost you another 1,25 euro/meter. Made like this (but than balanced):

http://www.triodedick.com/kabels.htm (also in Dutch, but plenty pics)

In an emergency I made up some balanced XLR cables using a similar method as the TNT Shoestrings: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/shoestrings_e.html

Pins 2 and 3 were connected as per the Shoestring. For the shield (pin 1), I used the central copper wire from the coaxial TV aerial wire.

They seem to work fine, but are they balanced?

I have seen reference on this website: http://www.triodedick.com/kabels.htm that suggests using the outer braid for the sheild (pin1). I was being lazy by using the central wire. Is this a problem?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I use Tara Labs Air 2. I listened to a ton of cables before I drove off the cliff of DIY. I found that the Tara Labs stuff was the most musical and at each price point out performed the competition. In that I am referring to Kimber, straight wire, DH Labs, Audioquest, Cardas. Those were the ones I played with. But since driving off the DIY cliff, I don't much care to quibble with the slight difference cables make. I have some nice ones and I am done with that. I have found that better parts and better designs make more difference than the wire. What I mean by that is, I have a pair of $500 interconnects. I have a pair of $800 speaker cables. Great. My 150 chip amp sounds better than most $2000 amps. My F4's ,well they sound like F4's. At this point I would rather buy Black Gate caps and Ricken resistors (or substitute your favorite flavor of top notch parts) than spend that cash on boutique cables. I would likely get some nice OFC cable and make my own at this point. There is no real mystery to the whole cable thing and like all DIY you can get 99% of the quality for 25% of the cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.