DIYstore Time Delay with BA-3 power amp-Per Build Guide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have recently built the BA-3 Power Amplifier straight from the build guide, exactly as 6L6 did.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/258301-ba-3-amplifier-illustrated-build-guide.html

I used same box, I used the store Time Delay board just as he did, instead of the usual terminal block with dual CL-60 and .0033 cap.

I am wondering if it is working, or perhaps it just works very quick? I mean if I put Multimeter on output of time delay and flick switch, it hits 117-120 almost instantly, no build up. Reading about it, seems it does its work in a few milli-seconds, so maybe it is.

As I am using a 24+24 volt @ 1000VA transformer, I want to make sure this beast is doing its job!

Is this normal? I envisioned a slow build up of volts then full power. Can someone please advise?

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Apparently, as I have learned, It happens really fast so I guess its working fine. I just wondered, I guess I thought it would be an observable build up. When I measured the output of the board, it was basically instantaneous. Maybe I will alter the components to slow it a little, but as long as the caps are charged before the mains hit everything is OK.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Use CL-60.

??? You mean instead of the time delay or in addition? I thought I did it the same way you did in your build...:confused: I hear the relay click on shortly after turn on, If I listen really close I hear the faintest "boing" noise as the juice hits the transformer, or it feels the cap bank...If that's what you mean I can install the CL-60 + X-1 cap thingie on a terminal block in addition, just not sure what you mean by "Use CL-60"... if in addition, before the time delay or afterwards?

Russellc

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I actually mean instead of... The monster transformer is so big that the small delay of the soft-start isn't making much difference.

It's wouldn't hurt to set everything as slow as possible in that circuit first, perhaps that would help.

As for LED resistor, anything from about 4.7K to 10K will be fine.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you used a T9A or T10A fuse for your 1000VA 115Vac transformer?

If you have and it does not blow then the soft start is working.

Without a soft start the transformer would probably need a fuse bigger than 20A, to get reliable starting from cold.

Its in the DIYstore 5U box with their back panel kit. The IEC it comes with holds two fuses, I believe I have 2.5 amp slow blo in there. They have been holding fine.

Russellc

i pulled out the resistors i my softstarts (2x33ohm in series) and installed 2x CL60 in series instead. that will prevent welding of the rèley when the resistor curcuit is bypassed.
The problem i had with resistors in place was welding of the rèley, resistor burning and blowing the main fuse (16A) at allmost every startup. With CL60's they have now been working just fine for 3-4 years.
the transformer used was a 1000VA 2x40VAC backed up with 6x68.000uF cap bank.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.