who manufactures the amplifier faceplates for passlabs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Where we source things is proprietary. Unless you were placing a volume
order they would probably not deal anyway.

If you look around you probably can find a local machine shop that can
mill a faceplate to spec, and then you can find a place which will grain
and anodize it.

It's a lot easier to see what available among the offerings at this site.

I hesitate to mention the ebay chassis knock offs of PL and Krell and such.

:cool:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Where we source things is proprietary. Unless you were placing a volume
order they would probably not deal anyway.

If you look around you probably can find a local machine shop that can
mill a faceplate to spec, and then you can find a place which will grain
and anodize it.

It's a lot easier to see what available among the offerings at this site.

I hesitate to mention the ebay chassis knock offs of PL and Krell and such.

:cool:

I'm pleased to mention that the canuckaudiomart I frequent doesn't allow 'knock offs'. As soon as we see one it gets reported and pulled.

Regards,
Dan

One annoying thing about custom made faceplates in small quantities is that you run into more problems than in mass production.
Aluminium alloys, even suitable ones for anodizing like AlMgSi0.5, can show defects after the anodisation process - not before. Its like your car is finished but the body cant be painted - mean isnt it? Pitting, stains, grey areas are the key words. They are often a result of badly cast alloy,
i.e. the process of cooling was too fast.
A company told me they had 30%
anodizing failure when they bought aluminium from a supplier.
They decided to have 3 tons cast exclusively and failure dropped to 10%.

But there are anodizing companies also specialized on small quantities and prototypes. None of them will provide fail-safe aluminium

Thus you should buy more aluminium and give the anodizer a sample for testing before you start the milling work.

I also have the problem that i want the common, shiny brushed surfaces, which was average quality in the 70s and 80s. Today this is luxurious because the acids for anodizing have changed due to environmental issues. Todays anodizations are much more dull.

Even Front Panel Express can handle a bit of engraving and such. Or, are they out of favor with DIYers these days?

As for my DIY Audio stuff, I use Front Panel Express with excellent results.

For my race car stuff, I use a small machine shop in Colorado. They are way busy with back-orders, and do not accept new customers. Besides, they are tres $$$$$$$.

Attachments

• Chip44.JPG
    Chip44.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 247
  • F5-23.jpg
    F5-23.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC03130.jpg
    DSC03130.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 246
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.