Thank you Mr. Pass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just listened to my Aleph J and am stunned. The clarity, punch, soundstage are amazing. In my 61 years I've never heard amplified music like this. All this thru a lowly pair of New Large Advent speakers (with upgraded tweeter).To be able to design a circuit with so few parts that does so much is truly genius work. Sharing this information for us builders to enjoy is sincerely appreciated. Thank you Mr. Pass and all the other folks on DIY that helped me thru my build. For anyone on the fence as I was don't wait, build and you will be rewarded.:)

Russ,
My advice--do it, do it, do it! I've read people say, "amps all sound the same pretty much". Not true. This one is spectacular. I've owned a Bose 1801, Macintosh 1900,Soundcraftsmen A2502(which I'm going to sell now that I've heard the Aleph, Yamaha, ,Marantz, Dynaco and none come even close by a big margin. Music has opened up for me again. Electronic, jazz, rock you name it, it is like listening for the first time.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have never thought they sounded the same, I've had lot of different ones, tube and otherwise. I will build the Aleph J, I just dont want to invest any more cash right now. While an excellent value, the DIYStore 4U or 5U are not cheap. I've just finished BA-3, BA-3 Amp, and Pearl 2. I could build it "naked" on a set of USA Heatsink 'sinks, but I have inquisitive cats.:)

What did you do for chassis?

Russellc

Russ,
I used an AR998G chassis from DOUK store in ebay. It had a Dun Mei logo on it (which I removed). It was 108.00 US plus 78.00 US shipping. 4 heat sinks each 160x190x32mm.You have to drill and tap yourself. Use a drill press, I didn't and suffered thru it. The prices for this model vary with seller (there are a few). Amp runs at 53C with 400mv bias. I have included a couple pics (the cat likes the heat and won't move too far from it). I'm waiting for the pushbutton which was forgotten in the shipment. It actually came in a week, they said in their correspondence 3-4 weeks?

Attachments

• 100_0134.JPG
    100_0134.JPG
    825.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 100_0135.JPG
    100_0135.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_0132.JPG
    100_0132.JPG
    773.3 KB · Views: 342
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russ,
I used an AR998G chassis from DOUK store in ebay. It had a Dun Mei logo on it (which I removed). It was 108.00 US plus 78.00 US shipping. 4 heat sinks each 160x190x32mm.You have to drill and tap yourself. Use a drill press, I didn't and suffered thru it. The prices for this model vary with seller (there are a few). Amp runs at 53C with 400mv bias. I have included a couple pics (the cat likes the heat and won't move too far from it). I'm waiting for the pushbutton which was forgotten in the shipment. It actually came in a week, they said in their correspondence 3-4 weeks?

What did you use to remove logo? Acetone?

Thanks,

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.