Pass F5: Which speakers would you use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2015, 03:14 AM   #1
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pass F5: Which speakers would you use?

Given the choice of speakers for use w/an F5 and preamp with healthy gain which would you use/have used?

A) 2-way, 85db sensitivity, 8 ohm w/6 ohm min.

B) 2.5 way, 90-ish db, 8 ohm w/4 ohm min.

C) 3 way, 90 db-ish, 4 ohm w/3 ohm min.

I am starting to think the f5 plays nice w/a flat impedence speaker...it's not really a matter of sensitivity if you listen at sane levels (say 90db-ish). Your thoughts/experiences?
Old 8th May 2015, 03:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
Given the choice of speakers for use w/an F5 and preamp with healthy gain which would you use/have used?

A) 2-way, 85db sensitivity, 8 ohm w/6 ohm min.

B) 2.5 way, 90-ish db, 8 ohm w/4 ohm min.

C) 3 way, 90 db-ish, 4 ohm w/3 ohm min.

I am starting to think the f5 plays nice w/a flat impedence speaker...it's not really a matter of sensitivity if you listen at sane levels (say 90db-ish). Your thoughts/experiences?
Right now, I cant say enough good about my combo in the bedroom, where my turntable is located. The speakers fall in the 8 ohms, 6ohms minimum @ 85 dB category. I believe we are using the same pre, BA-3. With B-1 I could get sane levels, but at or near full throttle which led me to a tube pre amp which also has a requisite phono section. With the BA-3 and Pearl, it is a very nice set.

I also have a set to try that are about 91dB, 4 ohms. Also Not tried yet are some Econowaves, with wave guides and compression drivers, but they are too big to haul upstairs. I have tried the F-5 on them, as well as BA-3 with digital source and that was also nice. These are pretty much 8 ohm speakers and very efficient, at least mid 90s dB.

Last, tried with F-5 and a tube pre amp were my basement set of Altec A-7, way efficient and they also sound nice, but there is no need for the extra gain...they are over 100 dB!

A large factor is also room size. When I took the smaller 85 dB speakers down stairs, they could clip a 150 watt A/B power amp at louder than normal but not insane loud levels. In the bedroom system, the room is smaller and easier to reach satisfactory levels.

Sounds like we are on similar paths... I am finishing a BA-3 Power Amp as we speak. This should end any gain needs! Let me know what you find!

Russellc

Last edited by Russellc; 8th May 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 9th May 2015, 11:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Got Polk LSi15 very happy whit it

4 ohms nominal are not a problem whit twins on 2.6A bias and plenty loud

If one can get 7.999999 ohms and 110 dB speakers he would be Lucky Bastard

This is D I Y so get speakers U like and then make them sound better whit F5.
Plenty of scope to build as U need and can afford

F5 is plenty fast dog whit load off fight in it
Old 9th May 2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

mine 91.4db/W/m @16R and 94db/W/m @8R (dropping to arroundish 8R bellow 150Hz , where bass helper kicks in)

no prob with Papas Koan (F4) on first and Papa's Koan M2 on second ones
Old 15th May 2015, 09:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, I just picked up a pair of KEF R700s...3 way, 89db, 8 ohm/3.2R min. I didn't think the f5 would drive them well but surprise, surprise. No problem getting loud about 3/4 way up the dial. Good bass too. My F5 is biased high (1.7A) and seems to have no problem loud.

This speaker, although rated at 8 ohms, is really probably a 4 ohm speaker. I am going to look at adding more mossiest to get more juice for the 4 ohm load.
Old 16th May 2015, 04:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

82.1 db/W/m 15ohm X'ed above 120hz works surprisingly well. F4 too... Squishy preamps need not apply.

Could model a roller coaster on its impedance curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R35FIG1.jpg (22.6 KB, 414 views)
Old 16th May 2015, 07:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well simply put

Papa Amp's are prety good
Old 17th May 2015, 12:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

naah

sissy ones

Old 18th May 2015, 07:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

After a weekend more of listening I might need a little more power. The f5 is pretty comfortable up to about 85db(not peak) but after that the soundstage collapses a bit. This is with a ba3 front end, Iam using about 75 percent of the volume knob. I havent heard any clipping yet but I dont want to.

I might go to 35v rails, dual mono. This will get me a little more power. Probably wont cascode the fets unless zen mod makes a fuss. 35V is pushing it but my jfets are 8ma and i might use little sinks on them.

Another idea is to put 2 more f5 boards in the same chassis for a total of 4 channels on one psu and then biamp the speakers.
Old 19th May 2015, 02:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

fuss

Hide this!Advertise here!