About possible Babelfish J interest

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
After building a couple of Pass style amps over in this forum I have noticed that most amps don't use PCB spade connectors, which are de rigeur over in the Solid State amp forum. What's the deal with that? I like spade connectors, they make assembly and dis-assembly a snap. Especially when you like to use one case and one PSU and swap out amp boards as the mood permits. Soldered on pigtail connections to amp boards are a pain and can eventually break due strain. Although the Babelfish J board probably could have accepted spade terminals - the holes were too too big so the solder would not have held it well.

My guess is that, Mr Pass' amps don't use spade connectors (because his are commercial amps meant to be assembled just one time). So everyone follows. DIY amps are different - meant to be tinkered and swapped in and out. It would be nice if folks who design amp layouts over in this forum started providing holes and pads for spade connectors. Also, for audio input - I like to use either screw terminal blocks or holes for 0.10in pitch JST connectors.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
had seen too many malfunctions due to poor contacts

wouldn't believe anyone , 'till I didn't found it by my self - poor connection acting as diode

that one was one of most puzzling ones ....

shortly - quick connections - more possible reasons for servicing

funny , isn't it ?

:rofl:

edit: try asking same question in Bleuturd thread ........ you'll run away , screaming for help :devily:

Last edited:
I'm thinking about full JFET Babelfish based on UJN1208K depletion mode output devices. What do you think about it ? Can I disconnect actual bias circuit and bias output transistors from outside negative PS ? Where R27 need to be connected after removing red marked parts ?
24069093348_6c9e49927c_o.png