mosfet matching wide variations/swings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Purchased 20 irfp140 and 20 irfp9140 mosfets.
Matching them has been less than fun.

Setup:

Mastech 30v 10A power supply
Large-ish blank anodized heat sink 4x6x1 inch
Sheathed alligator clip leads
Silicon iso pad.
15v, 60 ohm power resistor .13A

I thought I was getting good readings but if the dmm lead are touched or if I reach over the setup, the voltage swings but never settles to it was originally.
If i re-test, the Vgs is different.
If i touch the heat sink the voltage changes.

I don't trust the readings so I can't continue with the build. I don't remember it being this difficult.
I tried 4 meters and different meter leads.

How is matching done properly?

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Gate to drain
15v to drain
Ground to source pin

Attachments

• IMG_20150403_213313.jpg
    IMG_20150403_213313.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 243
Joined 2000
Paid Member
You must keep Tj at the same value for every test/DUT, that is really difficult !

Yes, I imagine it's difficult keeping accurate temps. I left the setup out over night with the mosfets on the same table, Closed a vent that pushed air over that work area. That's the best I could do. I wasn't going to measure Tj. :)

the readings were completely different for the N-Ch fets. Some read 7.xxV other times 5.xx, but with the gate resistor, every fet was in the 5.1xxV range.

Interestingly, the P-ch fets had closer readings with or without the gate resistor, even a day later and with different room temps.

Thanks.

Vince

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.